Have Home need Pro; what do I buy?

A friend has XP Home on 2 computers and needs XP Pro for an
application he is purchasing; with a new PC, cost difference is only
$60; the Pro upgrade appears to be about $200; is that what is needed?

Thanks!

"GeorgeB" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
>A friend has XP Home on 2 computers and needs XP Pro for an
> application he is purchasing; with a new PC, cost difference is only
> $60; the Pro upgrade appears to be about $200; is that what is needed?
>
> Thanks!

He might want to double-check that Pro is required; the basic OS is the
same, so it would be quite unusual that an app would have any preference of
home or pro.

As far as upgrading...you need the upgrade software. you might want to see
if the OEM has an upgrade available for less. Too bad he didn't get Pro from
the start; it's always cheaper that way.

Running IIS and Joining a Domain comes to mind immediately. Not using
Simple File Sharing is another.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Thanks!
>
> He might want to double-check that Pro is required; the basic OS is the
> same, so it would be quite unusual that an app would have any preference
> of home or pro.
>
> As far as upgrading...you need the upgrade software. you might want to see
> if the OEM has an upgrade available for less. Too bad he didn't get Pro
> from the start; it's always cheaper that way.

Yes, but of all of the multitude of applications out there, there are
relatively few that require those functions. I've had customers who think
they need to upgrade to Pro for some simple application because the wording
on the app isn't very clear as to what is really required. Before spending
the time and money, it certainly would be wise to double-check.

Most programs that could use IIS could also use something else, thus pro
isn't strictly a requirement if that's the case. Easier maybe, because it's
already there...but not required if cost is the issue. And offhand, I can't
think of any off-the-shelf program that would require a home user with 2
computers to have to be able to join a domain.

> Running IIS and Joining a Domain comes to mind immediately. Not using
> Simple File Sharing is another.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Thanks!
>>
>> He might want to double-check that Pro is required; the basic OS is the
>> same, so it would be quite unusual that an app would have any preference
>> of home or pro.
>>
>> As far as upgrading...you need the upgrade software. you might want to
>> see if the OEM has an upgrade available for less. Too bad he didn't get
>> Pro from the start; it's always cheaper that way.

fred

If your friend already has Home installed then purchasing the XP Pro full
version would be a waste of money. The upgrade will do just fine.

"GeorgeB" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
A friend has XP Home on 2 computers and needs XP Pro for an
application he is purchasing; with a new PC, cost difference is only
$60; the Pro upgrade appears to be about $200; is that what is needed?

Thanks!

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:43:50 -0600, "D.Currie"
<dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"GeorgeB" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
>>A friend has XP Home on 2 computers and needs XP Pro for an
>> application he is purchasing; with a new PC, cost difference is only
>> $60; the Pro upgrade appears to be about $200; is that what is needed?
>>
>He might want to double-check that Pro is required; the basic OS is the
>same, so it would be quite unusual that an app would have any preference of
>home or pro.

The folks selling the application say it requires Pro, that Home will
not work. I beleive that are coming in to install it, as well. This
is a business application, multiuser database(s) involved. I've no
idea the app $, but doubt that Pro upgrade will be a significant item,
in truth.

>As far as upgrading...you need the upgrade software. you might want to see
>if the OEM has an upgrade available for less. Too bad he didn't get Pro from
>the start; it's always cheaper that way.

Wonderful idea, Thanks!

> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:43:50 -0600, "D.Currie"
> <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"GeorgeB" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
>>>A friend has XP Home on 2 computers and needs XP Pro for an
>>> application he is purchasing; with a new PC, cost difference is only
>>> $60; the Pro upgrade appears to be about $200; is that what is needed?
>>>
>>He might want to double-check that Pro is required; the basic OS is the
>>same, so it would be quite unusual that an app would have any preference
>>of
>>home or pro.
>
> The folks selling the application say it requires Pro, that Home will
> not work. I beleive that are coming in to install it, as well. This
> is a business application, multiuser database(s) involved. I've no
> idea the app $, but doubt that Pro upgrade will be a significant item,
> in truth.
>
>>As far as upgrading...you need the upgrade software. you might want to see
>>if the OEM has an upgrade available for less. Too bad he didn't get Pro
>>from
>>the start; it's always cheaper that way.
>
> Wonderful idea, Thanks!

Have fun. I can see that they'd want all the computers running exactly the
same software as it will make troubleshooting a lot easier for them.
Depending on who the oem is, they may have the upgrade available, and it may
make installation a little easier as it will already be pre-configured for
their systems.

I didn't give the whole story, as it didn't apply to my question ...
this is an office running a single user version of a moderately
sophisticated accountling/scheduling/billing application. They are
adding 2 employees and going from the secretary doing all PC work to 4
PCs, 2 new, with each professional having dynamic access to the
system. The 2 new ones will be bought with Pro; they are told the
others need it. The "simple filesharing" is likely the reason.

Thanks folks!

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:19:41 -0600, "D.Currie"