Sign in with
Your question
Closed

External hard drives take a long time to load

Last response: in Windows 7
August 18, 2011 4:28:28 PM

I plug quite a few different hard drives into my PC running windows 7 VIA a usb 3.0 Nexstar SATA adapter, normally just bare hard drives that need data backed up or moved, and as time goes on it seems to get slower and slower to find and bring up a new drive when i bring it in. My assumption is that it caches all the drivers for each drive and searches them to see if a matching driver is already installed for that specific device, or something of the nature.

I had thought the 2-5 minute wait when plugging in a hard drive was just how W7 operates but apparently this is not the case according to some other tech savvy people i've talked to. Other USB devices such as flash drives don't take nearly as long to come up as a SATA HDD. I was told that there might be a registry file I could clean out so as to get the process back onto a fresh leg. Any ideas?
August 18, 2011 5:46:26 PM

Disregard the "other USB devices load fast" thing, I just plugged in a fresh Sandisk Cruzer and it's taking about 5 minutes to show up.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2011 6:31:59 PM

As far as I know, there's no way to deal with this issue.

Win7 just has a tendency to sit and munch on your drive before letting you access it. It might be anti-virus related too.
Related resources
August 18, 2011 7:22:26 PM

Running Vipre AV, it's usually pretty light weight but that could be it. I'll try doing some testing with disabling it beforehand.
Score
August 24, 2011 9:49:59 PM

Guess nobody else has anything to weigh into the discussion. Thanks for the info though.
Score
August 24, 2011 9:50:18 PM

Best answer selected by internetlad.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
August 24, 2011 11:24:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!