Pentium D 805 issues

i356rim

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Hey guys--long time reading, first time posting :)
sorry if this is so newbish, but here's my problem:

I purchased a used Pentium D 805 2.66GHz CPU from an acquaintance... upon installing and checking the BIOS, the CPU temp reads ~52C (on avg.) Obviously I'm concerned since at this point the OS hasn't loaded and i'm already WAY overheated!

When I run Speedfan 4.33 I get readings all the way up to 62C sometimes (and I'm not sure what the settings are, but "Aux1" for me is at ...119C; maybe PSU...my PSU is 480w Antec Truepower and its hot to the touch during load)

I checked all my fans/cabling for max airflow and nothing seems to help.

My question is--the guy I bought it from was (at one point) really into overclocking...I heard if my PSU was heating up like crazy it could possibly be a damaged CPU from not being properly cooled during overclocking. Is this possible?

I've literally tried everything short of putting a Big Typhoon on there to cool it off, it's just insanely frustrating after my 7th re-seat/re-grease, esp. since my case sits @29C.

*sigh* anyway, here's my setup if it helps:

Compucase Evercase ATX Mid-tower
Pentium D 805 2.66GHz
Asus P5B Motherboard
Antec Truepower 480w PSU
4x512MB DDR2 533MHz
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB
2x12cm, 1x8cm front/rear/side fans

any thoughts? thanks so much... i'm so down about this and out of ideas...

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Don't know about having a damaged cpu (working fine with orthos?) @ stock with high temps, but maybe the vcore's too high possibly too simple but that is first that comes to mind as an overclocker if the mobo came with it? I've been informed by others here that SpeedFan and the like can't 100% be relied upon, trust the bios. Is the fan 4 pin plugged correctly in, is the fan and heatsink itself clean? Is the grease AS5? it does make a difference. Otherwise do u intend to overclock? If no then temps are ok. Otherwise invest in good cooler. Or cheap C2D.

http://hardwarelogic.com/news/131/ARTICLE/1104/2006-04-18.html look at bottom half says temps are fairly high @ std on that chip. Hope this helps.

i356rim

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Yea.. made sure and cleaned the surface of HSF and CPU and applied Antec Formula 5 and what not. Not necessarily intending on overclocking (i'd like to, i'd be in newb-dome) just slightly bothersome to me that when i do things like video encode it goes up to between 60c-70c (only because I know that's not good and worry about my equip.)--as I'm typing right now it's reading 58c *sigh* Thanks a ton for the cpu link, closed--that helps immensely. I put in an order for a Tt HSF so i hope that'll do the trick so i can hold off on the C2D for a bit :) and maybe if it cools it well enough i *can* do some OCing.

cheers

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I bought a new 805 really cheap buy, and when it was finally running it was running hot, at that time it was for a young girl in the family mostly used for msn, facebook, media player. It was running about the same temps you had, I decided to change the system to shutdown when the temps hit 75. Now the parts are in my computer with a real great cooling system overclocked overvolted running low 30
So ya good cooling will help
im0009753ba.jpg

i356rim

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
much thanks gomer! exactly the kind of info i was looking for :)
that's quite the de-stresser. I gather with something like this:
1001.jpg

i should be able to get it cool enough to maybe do some OCing?
much thanks to both gomer and closed :) cheers