Sign in with
Your question

first time overclocker

Last response: in Overclocking
November 6, 2007 12:50:38 AM

sup, guys? newbie overclocker looking for help. i am running a core 2 e6400 on my 975xbx2 and was wondering what is a higher but stable clock speed would be. never tried this before, and any help would be appreciated. step by step instructions would be nice, if anybody is willing to help me out.:) 

More about : time overclocker

November 6, 2007 2:44:17 AM

First, are you using the stock hsf? Because you have to make sure you have adequate cooling of your CPU. I have a E6600 running at 3 GHz with no problems at all. In fact, it took almost no effort. I simply went into the BIOS and enabled enhanced power slope and disbaled EIST and C1E and I was able to POST on the first try. I guess if you are using a BIOS later that 2333 you have to disable Failsafe Watchdog, too. I'm not having any issues with 2333, so I've left it for the time being. Anyhoo, then I increased the host frequency to 333 MHz for a 25% overclock with no voltage increases (333 MHz X 9 = 2997 MHz). Right now my setup is totally stable running OCCT, Orthos, and Prime95 for extended periods. At idle my temps in Speedfan and TAT are in mid to high 20's celsius and 50-52c under load using at Zalman 9500. Just so you know, this was my first build and first OC, so I know where you're coming from, man.

The folks here probably will scoff at me, but I went right in and upped the host frequency from 266 to 333. I know others recommend doing it in smaller increments, but everything I read indicated that a C2D should be able to handle a 333 FSB with no issues. I suppose if I were to go higher I would take it up in smaller steps, but that would also probably require messing with voltage settings and I didn't want to to go that route.

Here are a couple links that may be useful:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1156504

http://www.peakin.com/xbx2/calculator.html

Last, the calculator link above is really helpful for figuring out the FSB:RAM ratio. I know I got a bit confused with the role the reference frequency and memory frequency settings played in the BIOS
November 6, 2007 2:54:30 PM

flauntyham said:
First, are you using the stock hsf? Because you have to make sure you have adequate cooling of your CPU. I have a E6600 running at 3 GHz with no problems at all. In fact, it took almost no effort. I simply went into the BIOS and enabled enhanced power slope and disbaled EIST and C1E and I was able to POST on the first try. I guess if you are using a BIOS later that 2333 you have to disable Failsafe Watchdog, too. I'm not having any issues with 2333, so I've left it for the time being. Anyhoo, then I increased the host frequency to 333 MHz for a 25% overclock with no voltage increases (333 MHz X 9 = 2997 MHz). Right now my setup is totally stable running OCCT, Orthos, and Prime95 for extended periods. At idle my temps in Speedfan and TAT are in mid to high 20's celsius and 50-52c under load using at Zalman 9500. Just so you know, this was my first build and first OC, so I know where you're coming from, man.

The folks here probably will scoff at me, but I went right in and upped the host frequency from 266 to 333. I know others recommend doing it in smaller increments, but everything I read indicated that a C2D should be able to handle a 333 FSB with no issues. I suppose if I were to go higher I would take it up in smaller steps, but that would also probably require messing with voltage settings and I didn't want to to go that route.

Here are a couple links that may be useful:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1156504

http://www.peakin.com/xbx2/calculator.html

Last, the calculator link above is really helpful for figuring out the FSB:RAM ratio. I know I got a bit confused with the role the reference frequency and memory frequency settings played in the BIOS

hey, thanks alot man, good links and useful information here, and to answer your question, yes i am using the stock cooler.
Related resources
November 6, 2007 5:57:46 PM

Sure thing. With the stock cooler, just make sure you watch your temps. I would think you could do at least 2.6 with no prob. I'm probably paranoid, but if you go above that I think I would consider a third party cooler. Let us know how it goes. One more thing, I forgot to ask what speed your RAM is. That can have certain implications. I guess I assumed you were using DDR2 800.
November 7, 2007 6:12:23 AM

Yeh if you buy an air cooler such as zalman 7500 you could clock it to about 400x8 (3.2) and have ddr2 800 running nicely alongside
!