Whats the best way to transfer music from old pc to new??

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
ok i just built a new pc and i was wondering about the easiest way to transfer all my music from my old computer to my new one. any ideas?

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
If you've got a network setup then setting up a share between the two would be the easiest way since it would just be a straight move from one system to the other.

But if you haven't gotten a network setup yet then using a re-writable DVD would certainly be an option; especially if you've got several gigs to move over.

Or you could get an external HD. Then you'd just hook it up to the old computer and move your music onto it. Then you'd hook your external drive up to the new system and move the music over to it.

Or you could always take the HD from your old system and hook it up to your new system and then move the music over. In terms of cost it would be the absolute cheapest since you'll already have everything needed to get it done.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
how do u set up a network? (my 2 computers are right beside each other atm- i wish i could just plug one wire into the other and boom network ahha)

so how exactly do i do it>?

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
It depends on what type of music files?
MP3's will just copy, other formats (WMA, iTunes etc) may not due to the associated DRM license files.

The easiest way is to buy a router and set it up (Recommended). You need a few extra cat 5e ethernet cables if you are doing wired.
You can do wireless also if the PCs have wireless cards.
Or you could use a crossover cable between the 2 PCs. One PC has the internet connection and another ethernet card for sharing (total 2 ethernet cards). The other PC has one ehternet card.
You need to set up file and printer sharing in both cases.

G

You can do that. Just make/buy a crossover cable. Basically a crossover cable is a cat5 cable but the wires go to different parts of the prong on the one end. Just plug that into the ethernet port of both computers and then you can access the shared folders of each computer. Its how I transferred everything. Made the cable at work since BestBuy charged $30 for it.

Anyway, its better than dropping $50-$100 on a router that you'd only ever use for xfers.

Google crossover cable and it'll show some diagrams on how to make a crossover cable from cat5. Of course you'll need a tool that also costs about $30 to crimp the end of the cable so you may be better off buying it from BestBuy or Newegg or something.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
crazy glue the old hard drive to the outside of your new box. The music will be in the old drive. Might not be able to get to it, but it will be on your new computer... from a certain point of view.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Whatever happened to just setting the old hard drive jumper to Slave, plugging it into the new system and going from there?

-Wolf queries

I was wondering the same thing, wolf. I'm still lost on how the OP can build a new system, but can't figure out a way to get his files off an old HDD.

G

Just checked Newegg, they have crossover cables there for $7 shipped. That's your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.