7800gs+ won't overclock and strange fps

I run a P4 3.0Ghz and Gainward 512mb 7800GS+ AGP (which is a 7900GT chip). However on Far Cry when the action gets tough the frames drop to around 25-30fps maxed out at 1280x1024 4x aa 8x aniso. No probem with that with those specs. So I thought i'd oc my CPU to 3.4Ghz and OC GPU from 450Mhz core to 500Mhz. Absolutely no difference. I ran fraps and got EXACTLY the same result. OK is this a one off? no cos Test Drive Unlimited maxed out at same resolution is the same. I dropped the settings down on this game and the fps was still exactly the same. The only time I got it to change was when running in HDR which it struggled with at high resolution. Oh and i removed VSYNC just in case.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing a problem? .
3 answers Last reply
More about 7800gs overclock strange
  1. are you running vista?, I suspect that it user account control prevents rivatuner working and I haven't tried any others (I turned UAC off)
  2. No, i'm running XP Pro with admin rights. It's really bizarre, I might contact Gainward support for any suggestions. Does anyone else have similar issues?
  3. Well, you'd think that you were either CPU or GPU bottlenecked... but you overclocked BOTH so that is really strange.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking Graphics