My new Q6600 build

HAVENSAL

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I am new to this forum and relatively new to OC'ing.

First let me say Hi :hello: and Thank You to all of those who post all of the information I learned so much from.

I just want to post my OC and see what you all think.

First the hardware:

Q6600 G0
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0
G.Skill DDR2-800 4Gb.
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
EVGA GeForce 8500GT 512MB
Seagate 500Gb. SATA
Ultra X-Finity 600-Watt
Ultra UV Wizard Blue case

Now the details:

Q6600 3.2 Ghz. @ 1.25v (set to 1.3 in BIOS)
356 Mhz. FSB
1424 Rated FSB
RAM 1:1 712 Mhz. 4-4-4-10-2T
PCIe 100 Mhz.

I stopped at 3.2 Ghz. due to the temps. I am running between 56 and 58 on core temps loaded. I really don't want to reduce the life of this chip too much. Once I have everything else all tweaked in I may see if I can up the FSB a little more and see what happens. My unloaded temps are 39 to 44 on the cores. My CPU temps (CPU case that contacts the HS) are 54 loaded and 37 unloaded. My system temp runs between 35 and 37.

My RAM is running fine. I am still going to see if I can get the timings down a little and see what performance increase I see. My ram will not run over 800 MHZ no matter what I try. Being that it is only rated 800 mhz 5-5-5-15, I shouldn't expect to much more than I have.

So far I have run stable on everything i can throw at it. It has run Memtest and 12 hours of Prime95 Blend and 12 Hours of small FFT's. I am going to run 24 hour tests later.

My only concern now is my GPU temp. According to the Nvidia software and Speedfan my GPU is running 52 unloaded and shoots up to 64 what I use the Nvidia stress test. Should I worry about this? My card has a fan on it and is running 100%. There is a vent in the cover that provides cool air to the card.

So what do you think? I am very pleased with the results so far. This is my first build in 10 years. I did a lot of research and I think it paid off nicely. :bounce:

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Very nice build and results with your oc! Your GPU temps seem fine. My 8800GTS goes up to that temperature as well under load.What are you going to use this rig for?What OS are you running?

HAVENSAL

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I am running XP Pro X86 right now. I am going to be running some stability and performance comparisons between XP and Vista, both X86 and X64.

Right now I am just using it for everyday stuff, CD and DVD burning/copying... I am planning on bringing some of my 3D modeling work home and get some actual work done. I do a little gaming, but only a few hours a week, nothing major.

I really didn't need anything this fast or robust, but I wanted to build one just to see if I still could. Being a guy, I figured if I am going to build, why not go BIG for a few hundred $'s more. I think one would be hard pressed to find a better system for under $1200, but only time will tell. :D

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Very nice build indeed.Congrats.The only thing I would change would be the GPU. Say a 8800GT. But since you don't do major gaming it will probably not be a issue.

Mad4Power

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
First, some advice: if you want to drag down your CPU temp without breaking your budget, I recommend the CoolIt Eliminator (available at Newegg.com and elsewhere). It is inexpensive and highly effective. The only problems I ever had with mine were installing it (not a complicated job, but you need to pull the mobo to do it, and you really wish you had an extra pair of hands by the time you're done) and one time, out of the blue, the pump stopped. Powering down the PC and waiting a while brought it back, and it never troubled me again.
I was running a Q6600 at stock speeds and my temps would hover around 20C (roughly room temp) at full load. At idle, they woudl drop as low as 5C, sometimes even below zero, if the room temp was low enough (because it can do sub-ambient cooling, the Eliminator is designed to apply only as much cooling as is needed, to prevent condensation from forming and ruining your day).

One piece of advice: DONT remove the thermal grease that comes pre-applied. In all the reviews I've read, replacing the grease with their favorite brand (for standardized testing, of course) is the first step they take, and their Eliminator ALWAYS does worse than mine after that.

You might also try the Freezone, from CoolIt. It's literally the Elinator's elder brother. I hear, however, that it is not as well constructed, and not worth the extra cash :(

Two questions: what is your multiplier set at? (the math says it must be 9)
what does 1429 rated FSB mean?