Another "help me pick" thread :D

mebeksis

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2005
I'm lookin into upgrading my current setup. Its kinda old but has been working really well. Current specs: VIA km266, athlon 2000+ (1.6ghz). I'm looking at doing a sorta in between upgrade. I would like a board that has both AGP and PCIE, both SATA and ATA and is a reasonably good CPU upgrade. I would *like* to get either an ASUS or Gigabyte since I trust them, but I trust the boards here :D Ideas?

I have 2 dual sata II asrock boards, and they work fine. But since you need to upgrade the ram anyway, I would go with the asrock 4core dual vsta and the 2140 dual core Intel cpu. Both will run you about $135, and a stick of 1 gig ddr2 5300 will run you about $30-35. Asrock is the only board maker with both pci-e or agp slots for socket 775. I haven't seen any for am2 cpus. Newegg also has the 4core vsta available in open box for $45 shipped, but it comes with no accessories. Asrock will mail you a backplate for about $5 shipped, and you can use old cables and burn the drivers off asrock's website. If you don't have a video card, pick a different board with onboard pci-e video, and skip agp.

mebeksis

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2005
@konman43: Oc'ing wont' be in an issue, as I don't have the experience enough to fool with it and possibly mess up things :D

@o1die: That 4core dual vsta sounds like it might be just what i'm lookin for, specially (if i'm understanding you right) i can get the board, cpu, and a gig of memory for about 170 bucks? Also reason i'm lookin for one with agp and pcie is cuz i have an old but decent video card that i will be using in the interim till i can afford a newer pcie card

Thanks for giving your advice guys, so far both look really good for what i'm needing :D