Random Freezes and Restars Strange Symptoms

ertimmer

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Need some help isolating whats causing my computer to act strangely.

Symptoms are strange. While playing a game Such as WoW, the computer will freeze and the sound will start to skip for about 5 seconds. Its a hard-lock, and it usually comes out of it, however some it does not. The symptom repeats its self at an unknown interval 30 mins maybe - until the computer is restarted.

My box is also randomly restarting. No alarms are going off and the temp stays around 46 c playing wow ( i believe). Im not sure what is going. Any ideas?

My only idea is heat, it only occur during game play, a time of intense CPU usage. I reseated the ram recently

(sorry about the typos! typing with a cast!)

RAM is often the cause of system failure when it occurs while attempting to run software (wow). You might try using one DIMM in slot 1 and see if the lockups cease. Then use the other DIMM as a single and test for stability. Setting the RAM voltage to mfg. specs in BIOS can solve such a problem. You can also run memtest86 and check for RAM errors. HTH.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
herer is a start:

too much cpu overclock or too little cpu voltage
too much ram speed or too tight of timings or too little voltage
reinstall video drivers - bad drivers

too small psu or psu overheating - remove door and see if that helps - usually crashes not freezes

ertimmer

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Excellent thanks for the advice.

I'm not oc'ing at all and the system is upwards of a year old. The mobo an Asus has always given me a bit of trouble. PSU has plenty of wattage to. The locks happen after a amount of time not instantly at a certain load so im declined to think its a voltage problem.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

ertimmer

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Is there another memory test that can be run in windows? I seem to remember one but i cannot remember the names.

This has a lot of useful diagnostic tools plus mem test.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/