Sign in with
Your question

Lower FPS with a second 7950GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2007 4:20:14 PM

I just installed a second XFX 7950 GT Xtreme onto my DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert. I installed the SLI bridge, and changed the setting in BIOS from 16x1 to 8x2. I also enabled Dual SLI with the Nvidia Control Panel. Both cards have an ample power supply.

This card is identical to my first card. Everything seems to run smoother, but I've noticed my FPS are lower. I'm just using an addon in World of Warcraft, to determine my FPS.

Is there a better program to use to determine my FPS? Or is there some other setting I need to change to increase my FPS?

Thanks for the help

More about : lower fps 7950gt

September 8, 2007 4:42:49 PM

It may well be that the max frames are lower, by coincidence, but have you checked your minimum?, also aren't both your slots at 16x
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 8, 2007 4:47:28 PM

Perhaps you would be better off using a board that runs both PCI-e slots at 16x.
Quote:
SLI mode
- 2 SLI-ready graphics cards (use identical cards) on the PCI Express x16 slots.
- Each x16 slot operates at x8 bandwidth. When the graphics cards are connected
via the SLI bridge, the total bandwidth of the two graphics cards is x16.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3469&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US
Related resources
September 8, 2007 5:20:01 PM

I've been thinking about upgrading my motherboard, cpu and ram. I'm currently running a Socket 939 AMD with DDR Ram. Are there any mobos that have dual 16x?

Any suggestions on a mobo/cpu setup? I've always leaned towards AMD and ASUS, but I'm not opposed to Intel or another brand mobo.
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2007 5:35:17 PM

Hold up, before getting a new motherboard. What's your OS? Windows Vista has trouble with SLI, Microsoft has just released a patch for SLI/CrossFire.

I also did some checking on the net, I see conflicting stories, but it looks like WoW doesn't benefit from SLI. Have you tried any other games to see if performance is increased.

As for 8X8 or 16X16, your setup will not suffer from the smaller bandwidth. Your cards will not be bottlenecked in 8X8.

Definitely try another game.
September 8, 2007 5:48:08 PM

Ill tell you now that Vista does indeed now work with SLI but its only decent recently, and theres still 10 - 20% loss for my card from using XP in most games.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 8, 2007 6:01:30 PM

techgeek said:
As for 8X8 or 16X16, your setup will not suffer from the smaller bandwidth. Your cards will not be bottlenecked in 8X8.

Do you know this from personal tests, or are you regurgitating the opinion of others?
September 8, 2007 6:14:24 PM

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Would this update have been released via WindowsUpdate, or do I need to download it?
September 8, 2007 7:52:23 PM

vtnomad said:
I'm using Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Would this update have been released via WindowsUpdate, or do I need to download it?

You need to download it from M$. But I'd go back to XP. I have Vista Ultimate[M$ gave it to me, HA HA!], and even after tweak the hell out of it, XP still runs faster. So I'm back on XP until M$ can get Vista running at similar speeds of XP....
September 9, 2007 5:31:03 PM

How about a link, or file name as to where to download it?
September 9, 2007 9:41:51 PM

In order to properly test SLI you'll need a game that will actually make use of the extra juice, WoW (Despite what some may believe) is not a very demanding game and most likely more CPU than GPU dependant, try your SLI setup on STALKER, FEAR, Rainbow Six Vegas, GRAW or other demanding FPS.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 9, 2007 9:50:55 PM

emp said:
In order to properly test SLI you'll need a game that will actually make use of the extra juice, WoW (Despite what some may believe) is not a very demanding game and most likely more CPU than GPU dependant, try your SLI setup on STALKER, FEAR, Rainbow Six Vegas, GRAW or other demanding FPS.

Man you are brave!, the last time I suggested to a WoW fan that it was more CPU intensive than GPU intensive, it very nearly came to physical blows, they can be a touchy bunch. @ The OP, not you of course, I'm sure you are a very reasonable and placid soul. :lol: 
September 9, 2007 10:02:59 PM

Ah... yes. I know how MMO players can be touchy when it comes to their favorite games, but once has to got to accept the facts, they are not made to be the best-thing since sliced bread graphically speaking because they are trying to get the biggest userbase they can.

With this I'm not saying the game is not any good or anything, this is entirely up to the player, this is why I HEAVILY disagree on twitchguru "best games of 2007" video review as how they portrayed WoW as one of the best titles of 2007 simply because they sold a lot, sales should never be a deciding factor in how good is a game.

Hell.. look at crap like Halo, sells like crazy but it's just... what it is. (can't find a word that can describe it properly)
September 10, 2007 1:12:47 PM

Ha! I'm not that hardcore of a WoW fan. I'll try it with FEAR. Thanks for all the help guys.
!