what's the best version of RE:CV ?

Last response: in Video Games
September 26, 2004 10:12:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

what is generally accepted to be the best version of Resident Evil: Code
Veronica... the Dreamcast, Gamecube or PS2 versions? I have the opertunity
to get any of these but was leaning towards PS2 or Gamecube versions.

or are they each different enough to warrent getting all three?

More about : version

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 4:26:55 AM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:12:41 -0500, "Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com>
wrote:

>what is generally accepted to be the best version of Resident Evil: Code
>Veronica... the Dreamcast, Gamecube or PS2 versions? I have the opertunity
>to get any of these but was leaning towards PS2 or Gamecube versions.
>
>or are they each different enough to warrent getting all three?

The GC, PS2, and DreamCast version of RE:CVX are all the exact same
game.

The original CV for the DC doesn't have some extra cut scenes and
other non-essential stuff.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 9:05:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

The Dreamcast version supports 480p the others do not.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message
> what is generally accepted to be the best version of Resident Evil: Code
> Veronica... the Dreamcast, Gamecube or PS2 versions? I have the opertunity
> to get any of these but was leaning towards PS2 or Gamecube versions.
>
> or are they each different enough to warrent getting all three?

September 27, 2004 5:42:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message
> what is generally accepted to be the best version of Resident Evil: Code
> Veronica... the Dreamcast, Gamecube or PS2 versions? I have the opertunity
> to get any of these but was leaning towards PS2 or Gamecube versions.
>
> or are they each different enough to warrent getting all three?

Don't waste your money on all 3. I'd get the PS2 version simply because it
has the superior controller.

---
September 28, 2004 7:20:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> RE:CV looked pretty good on the PS2. Not FF-10, nor X-2 quality
> grapics, but pretty good, nontheless.I thought the game was
> interesting, and better than the rest of the RE drek that has floated
> up since the old PSX days. You get to play both Claire, and her long
> missing brother Chris. However, if you haven't played the Silent Hill
> series, you might do better there...mucho creeps, and paranoia galore.
> SH2 is a Greatest Hit, and, hence, inexpensive.

Have you seen the DC version? I think the graphics is crisper and clearer
than the PS2 version. Same goes for Alone in the Dark 4.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:23:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

The Dreamcast can support higher resolutions than PS2. It is noticeable!
One thing I have noticed on many PS2 games is jerky playback - I don't know
if this is because I have a PAL PS2....

"Vidar Olavesen" <olavese@online.no> wrote in message
> > RE:CV looked pretty good on the PS2. Not FF-10, nor X-2 quality
> > grapics, but pretty good, nontheless.I thought the game was
> > interesting, and better than the rest of the RE drek that has floated
> > up since the old PSX days. You get to play both Claire, and her long
> > missing brother Chris. However, if you haven't played the Silent Hill
> > series, you might do better there...mucho creeps, and paranoia galore.
> > SH2 is a Greatest Hit, and, hence, inexpensive.
>
> Have you seen the DC version? I think the graphics is crisper and clearer
> than the PS2 version. Same goes for Alone in the Dark 4.

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 2:58:04 AM

"devolution" <cheekycrowNO-S*P*A*M@hotmail.com> skrev i melding
> The Dreamcast can support higher resolutions than PS2. It is noticeable!
> One thing I have noticed on many PS2 games is jerky playback - I don't
know
> if this is because I have a PAL PS2....

That has been my main complaint about PS2 also. I bought a US one and the
motion is actually smooth on at least that game I bought, Breath of Fire.
Halo on the other hand .. Talk about jerky. And that's on both my US Halo
version and my Euro one.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 2:58:05 AM

In article <pck6d.12315$g%5.156648@news2.e.nsc.no>, "Vidar Olavesen" <olavese@online.no> wrote:
>"devolution" <cheekycrowNO-S*P*A*M@hotmail.com> skrev i melding
>> The Dreamcast can support higher resolutions than PS2. It is noticeable!
>> One thing I have noticed on many PS2 games is jerky playback - I don't
>know
>> if this is because I have a PAL PS2....
>
>That has been my main complaint about PS2 also. I bought a US one and the
>motion is actually smooth on at least that game I bought, Breath of Fire.
>Halo on the other hand .. Talk about jerky. And that's on both my US Halo
>version and my Euro one.

How are you playing Halo on a PS2?

Eric
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:24:22 AM

ewhardingisnot@comcast.net (Eric Harding) wrote in

> In article <pck6d.12315$g%5.156648@news2.e.nsc.no>, "Vidar Olavesen"
> <olavese@online.no> wrote:
>>"devolution" <cheekycrowNO-S*P*A*M@hotmail.com> skrev i melding
>>> The Dreamcast can support higher resolutions than PS2. It is
>>> noticeable! One thing I have noticed on many PS2 games is jerky
>>> playback - I don't
>>know
>>> if this is because I have a PAL PS2....
>>
>>That has been my main complaint about PS2 also. I bought a US one and
>>the motion is actually smooth on at least that game I bought, Breath
>>of Fire. Halo on the other hand .. Talk about jerky. And that's on
>>both my US Halo version and my Euro one.
>>

> How are you playing Halo on a PS2?

At 0 frames per second. No wonder it's jerky.

--
Marc.
Anonymous

In article <F7Y5d.121$GU1.101@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, Colin Hutchison wrote:
>What's your view on Silent Hill games??

My brother has recommended them. I haven't tried them yet, honestly. I
liked Eternal Darkness. I even liked Alone in the Dark (the original),
Shivers 1 and 2, and The 7th Guest (never managed to buy the sequel
though).

Just haven't gotten to SH. I've heard Fatal Frame should be good
too--different, at least.

--
Vorxion - Founder of the knocking-shop of the mind.

"You have it, you sell it, you've still got it--what's the difference?"
--Diana Trent, "Waiting for God", on why a modelling agency is really a
knocking-shop. Applied by me to the field of consulting. :)

The Sci-Fi fan's solution to debt: Reverse the polarity on your charge card.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 1:26:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> >What's your view on Silent Hill games??
>
> My brother has recommended them. I haven't tried them yet, honestly. I
> liked Eternal Darkness.

More people should buy this game (it's $10 practically everywhere). Instead
of relying on surprises, the game builds tension....and builds...and
builds...and builds, until you're about to explode. Something's wrong...you
know something's wrong...WHY ISN'T SOMETHING WRONG?!?! And then, when you
can't help but be worn out by all the stress, BAM!

The insanity effects are icing on the cake. And it actually has solid
gameplay behind the scares!

I normally don't get into survival horror, but this is one of my favorite
GameCube games. Too bad it didn't get the hype it deserved.

I actually haven't finished it yet; got scared out of my wits once and
decided to take a break and play something else. Never got back to it. Not
that I'm chicken or anything...

Did I mention I enjoyed the game?
--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Hey Mike, thanks for the compiler advice BTW...

"Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >What's your view on Silent Hill games??
>>
>> My brother has recommended them. I haven't tried them yet, honestly. I
>> liked Eternal Darkness.
>
> More people should buy this game (it's $10 practically everywhere).
> Instead
> of relying on surprises, the game builds tension....and builds...and
> builds...and builds, until you're about to explode. Something's
> wrong...you
> know something's wrong...WHY ISN'T SOMETHING WRONG?!?! And then, when you
> can't help but be worn out by all the stress, BAM!

Is this Eternal Darkness? OMG - I just remembered I have a gamecube and not
this game!

> The insanity effects are icing on the cake. And it actually has solid
> gameplay behind the scares!
>
> I normally don't get into survival horror, but this is one of my favorite
> GameCube games. Too bad it didn't get the hype it deserved.

Heh, I shall have to at least give it a little look into!

> I actually haven't finished it yet; got scared out of my wits once and
> decided to take a break and play something else. Never got back to it.
> Not
> that I'm chicken or anything...
>
> Did I mention I enjoyed the game?
> --
> //mike tyndall
> C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)
> See my 329-game collection:
> http://users.ign.com/collection/MikeTyndall

Heh, nice. I'll get back to you when I actually play it - at this rate, in a
few years!

--
=========
Comp Whizz

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >What's your view on Silent Hill games??
>>
>> My brother has recommended them. I haven't tried them yet, honestly. I
>> liked Eternal Darkness.

I've been wanting to play this for like forever but I can't find it anywhere
and the only place that did have it had it priced insanely high =(

---
September 30, 2004 11:08:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> >> My brother has recommended them. I haven't tried them yet, honestly.
> >> liked Eternal Darkness.
>
> I've been wanting to play this for like forever but I can't find it
anywhere
> and the only place that did have it had it priced insanely high =(

IGN has it for $12.99:
http://gamestore.ign.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=91609...

EBGames has it for $14.99:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/212489.asp

Enjoy!
--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)
See my 329-game collection:
http://users.ign.com/collection/MikeTyndall
October 5, 2004 6:25:42 AM

"Braska" <spironical@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> RE:CV looked pretty good on the PS2. Not FF-10, nor X-2 quality
> grapics, but pretty good, nontheless.I thought the game was
> interesting, and better than the rest of the RE drek that has floated
> up since the old PSX days. You get to play both Claire, and her long
> missing brother Chris. However, if you haven't played the Silent Hill
> series, you might do better there...mucho creeps, and paranoia galore.
> SH2 is a Greatest Hit, and, hence, inexpensive.

I love my PS2 and the Silent Hill games, but none of the sequeals are as
good as the original. Having said that I haven't had a chance to play 4
properly yet. If you don't mind the chunkier graphics, then you might want
to try and track down a copy of that. Man, I must've replayed that game at
least six or seven times now... a record. (follow by Resident Evil 2 -
finished that 4 times. I'll probably go back and try and unlock that tofu
level one of these days...)

btw Fatal Frames/Project Zero for the PS2's pretty good too... should be
able to find a copy quite cheap now...

<=[BC]=>
!