I have xp pro64 why does it ask for xp?

timdros

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hello,
I cannot install a game because it wants the os to be xp. I have xp pro 64bit. How do I install this game?

The issue is that XP Pro x64 has a different version number than XP Pro x86. Some sloppy programmers decided that they should only check for specific version numbers in order for their software to install. Try running the setup.exe in compatibility mode.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Could you specify the game you are trying to install? For instance, I had to download an update for the original Fry Cry game because the normal version wouldn't run on XP Pro x64. However, Crytek was considerate enough to create a special 64-bit version of the game. Not saying the same is true for whatever game you are trying to install, but we won't know until you tell us what it is.

That's true for old DOS and other 16-bit programs... there are actually very few 32-bit programs that won't run under 64-bit Windows. The problem lies in the fact that XP Pro x64 has the same version number as Windows Server 2003. (They are both Windows version 5.2). So, because of sloppy programming, the installer thinks you have Windows Server 2003 installed instead of Windows XP. If you run it in compatibility mode, that should fix the issue.

timdros

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

NHra Quarter MIle Showdown Compatability mode does not help me install the game either

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Yikes, not a maintstream game. I'm just guessing it just isn't compatible. Unfortunately not even the developers webpage has any information on that game. Not sure what else to do. Sorry.

Upgrade to Windows 7...

;)

Windows XP x64 doesn't enjoy nearly as much support as Vista and 7. It was a niche product to begin with... very few vendors wrote drivers / software for it. Now that 64-bit is more mainstream thanks to Vista, more vendors are on the 64-bit bandwagon. That's not to say the game you have would work on Vista or 7, but if you know someone that has it... it would be worth a shot.