itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I've always wondered if this is possible. Is it possible to plug my PC into my TV and game and run applications on it? I THINK i have 37" inch TV that is not HD ready. I have 8800 GTX with E6600 and 2gb ram so performance is not an issue or should be a issue. Is there a cable that will allow to plug the ports on the back of my graphics to my TV and have what i see on my monitor right now to be on my TV? It's alot better then my 17" inch screen or buying a new 30" screen....

rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
with those displays what made you buy the gtx? as to your question u should be able to use a component connection if your tv has it and maybe s-video but i dont know if the gtx can do svideo

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
You can probably use S-video, which will look pretty good for videos. As far as gaming goes, you're going to be limited to playing at 1024x768 on your TV. Every TV (don't have HDTV) was limited to this resolution. Here are some things to consider (at least things I've come up with my own experience): 1. Placing your PC next to your TV can be a real pain in itself 2. you're not going to be able to read text unless its 2 or 3 times the normal size 3. You're going to want a wireless mouse and keyboard if you want to be comfortable doing it 4. Don't expect to see as much detail on your tv as you can see on a monitor. With all that being said playing PC games on your TV is still pretty cool.

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I don't mind the detail part. I have wireless mouse and keyboard. BUT I don't know if the TV is HD ready it was bought in like 2005. Should it be HD? I'm srry I jsut asking don't expect anyone to know

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Nvm... I have HDTV plugins but I cant plugin my xbox 360 in HD and see anything. My TV can Handle i think 720p i dont what's that equipvalent in pixels. I think my TV is HD ready is there any chance i can get 2560x1600 resolution or only certain screens can do that

SteelZ

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
720P = 720 horizontal lines and 1280 Vertical lines at 60fps (1280x720 60hz Progressive) thats like a standard resolution for lcd moniters.

And if your tv can handle 720p it is likely it can handle 1080i (1920x1080 30hz interlanced) Wont recommend it as it is only 30hz which means your games are gonna be played at 30fps with Vsync.

Without Vsync you will see major tearing in games which is annoying as hell.

2560X1600 is only for 30" computer moniters as dual-linvk DVI imput is needed for such high resolutions. Eg Dell 30"/ Samsung 30"

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
ok that would be F ING sweet if my TV can handle 1080i i dont mind 30 fps however i never see any tearing on my 17" inch screen with vsync off on oblivion and bioshock and bf2. Hell even if i do only get 30 fps with vsync on i could still have a better experience then my 17" screen. My 8800 GTX has component (blue,red,green) output. My TV has the matching input so in theory If i use a cab to connect those two it will work right???

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
OK... Figured it all out my graphics card need an adapter from VGA to for S-Video RCA. For it to display on my TV. BUT S-Video doesn't deliver the quality that component delivers. What is pissing me off is that my TV has a component input but no component output CHANNEL. Can everyone tell me why?

4745454b

Titan
Why do you care about component output? Plug the component cable between the TV and the video card, and turn the TV to whatever input component is. (for my TV, that would be input 3, input 1 and 2 are both Svideo.)

DVD players, Surround units, video cards, etc would have Component outs, as a display device, TVs wouldn't.

SteelZ

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
No u didnt under stand 30hz. It means your screen only refreshes 30 times a second! A 17" screen is running at 60hz which is painful if it is CRT it probably is a LCD.
30hz means your pictures wont be clear and videos wont run as smooth as it should. 30FPS doesnt always mean it will generate frames the exact moment the screen does so it WILL Tear Badly! Unless u keep Vsync on

ut2k4wikichici

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
If you have the money why not just get a better screen ?

The 22" Wide screen LCDs are really nice, i have a Viewsonic VX2235WM which is only about 200-400

1680x1050 at 60Hz (60FPS or more) is the max resolution they can do, its almost the quality of 1080p but not quite, its missing out on 300 pixels..........

Which does not sound like much but makes a hell of a difference.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
1920x1080=2073600 minus 1764000(1680x1050) means a difference of 309,600 pixels or ~15%. Just thought i'd throw that in. Did he say what kind of tv it was? He could just run it at 720p and avoid the tearing issue. AFAIK he should be sitting pretty as consoles do the same thing and they run just fine, no tearing at all. Keep this in mind as you arent really going into uncharted territory. Your gtx has a tv out yes, but you can connec to it via HDMI which, if your tv is HDTV ready it will have one. DVI to HDMI converters are cheap and do the trick. DVI is fully compatible with HDMI so your screen will just be like a computer monitor. Lower resolution will look adequate, but keep to native resolution at its preferred setting (1080i, 720p) so it will look its best.

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I don't have the money the TV is already there that's why I want to use the TV it's Bigger and Won't cost me extra, and YES i understand 30hz = 30 FPS with Vsync on I used to have computer that can run CS:S at 1 FPS on dust2

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
If it's 720P, why not just run at 1280 x 720? It works great on my new Toshiba 42" lcd. And it looked good on the Viewsonic 37" I just sold. And you mentioned HDTV inputs - do you mean HDMI plugs?

Wolfshadw

Titan
In order to answer this question, we really need to know the manufacturer and model number of your TV.

First - Find out the native resolution of your television.
Second - Determine which output corresponds to the Component Out on your graphics card.
Third - Set that output's resolution to match your televisions native resolution
Fourth - Turn off your system and television and connect the two.
Fifth - Turn on your Television making sure the input selection is set to Component
Sixth - Power up your computer.
Seventh - If you're not seeing a signal on your television, go into NVidia's Control Panel and enable the second monitor.

That process *should* work, but no guarantees. I'm working from memory of how I set up my ATI X1800XL to use the secondary output to a projector.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Just a bit more clarification... Are you using the S-Video to Component converter that came with your graphics card or do you have a DVI to Component cable?

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
My TV is 720p and the S-video to component converter came with 8800 GTX. Following all of Wolfshaws instruction all i need is a component cable... Since my video card has both analog and digital output should be fine right?

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
You're WAY better off plugging the tv into the card via its native dvi connectors. When you use component/s-video video and or presentations will only appear when you enable them. If you plug the tv into the gfx card with a dvi cable, or an hdmi cable with a hdmi to dvi converter into the card.

Here's what it should look like

TV-HDMI-HDMI Cable-HDMI to DVI converter-GFX Card

Doing this everything will appear on your tv. You can even Dual Monitor it with the big screen for games and a regular monitor for reading/net use. Nvidia has excellent Dual monitor settings and it is very VERY easy to set up once everything is plugged in.