pc powers on but no beeps and doesn't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

St0o

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
pc powers on but no beeps from motherboard, fails to boot, monitor is blinking, cpu, case fans and graphics card fan are spinning. optical drives open and close. Have reset bios jumper, removed battery. removed all ram apart from slot 1, removed and put back graphics card, unplugged all drives, unplugged power cord and pressed power button to discharge any power. nothing works.
cannot switch power off once pc is switched on have to remove power cord from the back.

I can ony think it is the mobo or psu.

asus p5n32-e
bios - 1205
rapror
nvidia 8800gtx
intel6600 c2d
razor usb mouse
logitech g11 keyboard
q-tec 650watt psu

thanks and please help

Just a few shots:

How about the RAM, what make/model? Some RAM chips take higher voltage than the default given by MOBO.

Sounds like you did a thorough job of connecting cables but I trust you put in the extra 4 pin power connector that goes in near the CPU socket?

With no beep it sounds like no POST but sometimes the beeps don't come on for some reason. Have you tried another monitor just in case that's the problem.

That q-tec is a quality PSU with enough amps on 12v rails for that 8800?

The failure to power off is odd.

St0o

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
yes the 4 pin is connected to the mobo, yes the ram is compatible and has been running fine for 4 months, I concluded it must be the mobo.

ducktales

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
sorry to intrude but i have the same exact problem.

I even took the mobo out of the case and placed it on a cardboard box to rule out shorting. I jump started the system and same thing, no post, no beeps and no video with just the ram, cpu, hsf and gfx in.

When i take out the gfx, no beeps, no post, nothing.

When i take out the ram and gfx, short continuous beeps.

What can be the problem?

Here is what i am running:

Antec Trio 650W PSU
E4300 with Artic silver freezer 7
GA-965P-DS3
Corsairs PC-4200 DDR2 533 Ram (2x1GB)
X800XL ATI

ANY HELP is appreciated. I think it is the mobo being faulty or DOA. I will have to RMA back to newegg and see what the new one brings.

St0o

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I have fixed the problem now, not exactly sure how. I bought a new psu, but i dont think I needed to. Unplug ur power cord, Unplug everything from the mobo execept the mobo power cables, 1 stick of ram, graphics card, cpu fan(no usb devices, headers drives or anything), remove the cmos battery, move the bios reset jumper to pins 2+3 for 10 seconds then move the jumper back to pins 1+2, put the battery back in. plug the power cord in and power up it should beep and u get keybaord error, or no hard drive error. If you get this then start plugging in the keyboard + drives one at a time and rebooting each time, keep doing it and if you run into the same problem, reset the bios again, I ran into the problem when I plugged my sata DVDRW drives back in, I reset the bios and tried them in a different sata socket and it works fine, maybe its the sata socket is fried, I dunno. hope you get it working, let me know how you get on.

theamazinlarry

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I am a third person experiencing just about the same problem.

Two days ago my compute was running fine with no problems to speak of. I turned it on the next day and it wouldn't post. I don't know what happened over that night, but whatever it was it caused my computer to crash.

Since I had had some initial troubles getting the system to post when I first built the machine I attempted a few of the remedies mentioned above automatically (resetting the cmos, taking out the battery). I even went as far as to add a new layer of thermal paste (removing the old layer with some alcohol first of course).

Despite my best efforts, I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm shun the idea of having to call geek squad.

Here's what I'm running:

Intel e6000
asus p5n32 sli plus motherboard (which I am starting to think might be the root of the problem)
mushkin sp2-6400 ram (2 x 2 gig)
evga geforce 8800
apevia 540w (i think) psu

tuksonrider

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
GREEEAAAT.

I to have an ASUS P5N32-E motherboard and having the SAME problem.

I get power, but no post.

I disconnected everything, reset the bios, and still nothing. Just the GFX, CPU, 1 stick of memory, and still nothing.

I plugged both a 4pin and 8pin to the motherboard tertiary power plug. still nothing.

The board is going back to newegg (it was an open-box item as well) Ugh. never again.

theamazinlarry

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
That might be the best idea for me too. I was immediately cautious with the board after conducting more research shortly after I bought. I was initially attracted to Asus b/c my last computer lasted me 7+ yrs with their motherboard.

Anyone have any advice on what type of motherboard to look at that as a replacement? Something that can still hold my intel e6600 cpu (i know I accidently put 6000 above).

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I really don't know why so many people are throwing their hard earned cash at ASUS.....
They use to be realy great and reliable, but as late they have started to dump crap on us....again!
I've had my share of troubles with them before and now sing the praise of FOXCONN.....
I'm running the p965 chipset and man it's been the best money I've ever spent!

Just food for thought!

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I'm amazed Asus is as popular as they are. I would recommend a Gigabyte, from both personal experience and people on the forum.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Even the Gigabyte boards have made it to this forum on numerous occasions. I've yet to hear/see any threads about the Foxconn boards.
They o/c very nicely and I've built several based on my p965 chipset and never ever has anything gone bad!
They realy don't even care what video card you stuff in that pci-e slot!!!
For what it's worth, have a go at the Foxconn board you'll never regret it!

ducktales

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
i have concluded my motherboard was DOA, i got my hands on a nvidia 650i ultra mobo and everything started up fine. RMA back to newegg it is.

quatra

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Same thing here with an Intel D101GCC MoBo after a Bios update. Apparently everything went smooth and the old Bios was overwritten sucessfully, however after pressing F1 as instructed an endless loop of 4 second beeps came on. Dark screen, HD light continously on, fand running, DVD combo drives opening and closing, etc.
Tried every trick found on the internet (on my laptop) and then some.
Finally I pulled the 1 GB DIMM and left the 512 MB DIMM.
No beeping anymore, so the 1 GB DIMM is lousy.
However: still no booting.
Anyone any ideas?

quatra

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
:bounce:

Just an update on my yesterday's post.
Last night I pulled out the CMOS battery. This morning, having prepared myself for a busy day for taking my machine to the shop to have the BIOS reprogrammed, maybe having to buy a new MoBo and a replacement for the 1GB RAM, I put back the battery and jumper. The machine booted, reported "Checksum error, loading default values, press F1 to continue". It also reports the new BIOS version (GC11010N.86A.313. Also the 1GB memory turned out to be o.k. after all.
Something definitely went wrong during the update.
Leave the battery out for longer than the "10 seconds" many people, including MoBo manufacturers, recommend (I did that many times yesterday).
Just leave it out for, at least, 8 hours.

osfa

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Hi everybody! Let's work again in 1 min, SOLUTION IN 5 STEPS !

OH NO! ALL OF US SAYING THE SAME DAMN WORDS...

IT WON'T TAKE LONG. MY SOLUTION FOR YOU (AT LEAST WORKED OUT FOR ME) IS THE FOLLOWING (AFTER TRYING ALSO ALL YOU SAID):

1ST. TAKE OFF THE BATTERY
2ST. WHILE IN THIS SITUATION (WITHOUT BATTERY), POWER SYS ON.
3RD. LOAD SETUP OPTIMAL DEFAULTS
4TH. POWER OFF SYSTEM.
5TH. PUT ON THE BATTERY.

END.

SYSTEM STARTS UP LIKE EVER BEFORE.
HOPE IT HELPS!

TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THAT EVEN TAKING OFF BATTERY DIDN'T WORK, NEITHER SHORTCUT CLEAR CMOS JUMPER

kje1973

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Hello

I have just been upgrading a system for a nextdoor neighbour, have an issue with a faulty motherboard which was DOA, Which has now been replaced. But 2 days after running fine, the machine has experience many of these symptoms mention within this forum.

I am 99.5% sure the problem is to do with the PSU, as if the motherboard was faulty, it would not powerup, or altenatively we would be hearing some sort of system error beebs.

I would imagine that if you removed all the memory, it should still powerup in the same manner, with out an beep.

If you have a spare PSU try swapping it around, or alternative like one of the previous posts, replace with a new PSU, it seemed to fix his even though he didnt think it was what the problem was.

Good luck everyone

o3vegeta

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
hello everyone,

so i see that i am not the only one with this problem.

what i tried so far:

pull out my ram and boot but then i get the expected beeps for missing ram.
tried reseating the gfx card, no effect.

i also put a speaker to the pc and it gives a constant tone Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and then reboots, and again beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and then reboots, and again beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep,........ until you unplug the power cord.

the weird thing is that when i connect the power cord again to make my system boot the beeeeeeeeep stays on ALL the time so i can do my stuff in windows but with this anoying sound. reboot is not possible because it begins his cycle of rebooting

o3vegeta

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
tomorrow i will have a new power supply and gfx card to test with,
tonight i will try the cmos battery removal as it seems to work for some people.

and thanks allot everyone for all the fast replies.

o3vegeta

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
sorry for the misspost i thought it was my thread.

and for some reason i am not allowed to edit my messages so sorry for the tripple post

Status
Not open for further replies.