cvol

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Hello, I currently have two internal HDD's, c: for OS and applications/data and a d: drive for additional storage. I just purchased a ata-100 500gb 8mb cache WD hard drive to hopefully replace my current 100gb c: drive. I have an external enclosure on order that I was going to use to clone the c: drive but while I wait for that to arrive, I'm wondering if it would be faster to temporarily swap out my internal d: hard drive(slave on IDE-1) with the new 500gb drive, clone my current c: drive to the new drive (using Acronis True Image 11) and swap my current c: drive with the new cloned 500gb drive? I was hoping to gain some speed as my current 100gb WD HDD only has a 2 mb cache where the new drive has 8 mb cache. Are there pitfalls to doing this? Will I see the whole 500gb or will the OS think I still have the old drive installed? Is there a specific procedure I should be following? I'm sure this has been asked before. I have been searching the forums to learn the correct way of doing this but the situations vary from mine.
Any suggestions are appreciated!

WinXP Pro SP2 installed, AMD 2800+

Thanks

cvol

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply! I'm assuming that no modifications to the bios is required? I appreciate your input. I guess if no performance increase is gained, I'll just clone the drive to the external and keep it as backup and move a lot of data to the new drive.

Thanks