swapping drives

Hello, I currently have two internal HDD's, c: for OS and applications/data and a d: drive for additional storage. I just purchased a ata-100 500gb 8mb cache WD hard drive to hopefully replace my current 100gb c: drive. I have an external enclosure on order that I was going to use to clone the c: drive but while I wait for that to arrive, I'm wondering if it would be faster to temporarily swap out my internal d: hard drive(slave on IDE-1) with the new 500gb drive, clone my current c: drive to the new drive (using Acronis True Image 11) and swap my current c: drive with the new cloned 500gb drive? I was hoping to gain some speed as my current 100gb WD HDD only has a 2 mb cache where the new drive has 8 mb cache. Are there pitfalls to doing this? Will I see the whole 500gb or will the OS think I still have the old drive installed? Is there a specific procedure I should be following? I'm sure this has been asked before. I have been searching the forums to learn the correct way of doing this but the situations vary from mine.
Any suggestions are appreciated!

WinXP Pro SP2 installed, AMD 2800+

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about swapping drives
  1. Should work just as you described. Good luck.
  2. I think this should work.

I doubt that you will be able to detect any performance increase because of the added cache. The rpm's are what is most important.
  3. Thanks for the reply! I'm assuming that no modifications to the bios is required? I appreciate your input. I guess if no performance increase is gained, I'll just clone the drive to the external and keep it as backup and move a lot of data to the new drive.

Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Storage