Underclocked Processor Problem

clarkwerk

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Unfortunately I learned the hard way that you should never buy a HP computer, even if it is less expensive than building one yourself. I could start a new thread on my complaints but it is one in particular that bothers me. My computer came with the Core 2 Duo E6300 and CPU-Z reads the core speed at only 1600.1 MHz with a x6.0 multiplier, 266.7 MHz Bus Speed, and a 1066.8 MHz rated FSB. The Multiplier seems off to me, so I decide to go into my BIOS for the first time and notice that it wont allow me to change anything. My motherboard is an ASUS Buckeye and it is based on a P965/G965 chipset and has Phoenix Technologies BIOS Version 3.17. I checked for BIOS updates on HP's website and that didn't help any. Is there any way I can fix this without having to go out and buy a new mobo? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

crrust

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
I would suspect that Speedstep is enabled in BIOS by default. Try checking cpuz with Prime95 running small fft's. I would bet that you will see the multiplier jump back to x9.0.

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Open cpu-z and put some load on the cpu...you should see it increase to its normal speed.

Speedstep is usually ctive on all pc's, it lowers the voltage and multiplier to save power. This should be easily turned off in advanced bios settings or something similar.

TRENDING THREADS