Can someone recommend a heatsink for an X2 4200?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I am upgrading my 939 system with an Athlon X2 4200.

I can only find it OEM, so I need a heatsink.

I have two extra retail heatsinks for a 939 Athlon 64 3000, but I am guessing it won't be adequate?

I always wanted to give water cooling a try so if I do end up tempted to overclock I am likely to go that route, as long as I can get gear that can be easily transfer to my next system.

So for now I am just looking for something inexpensive to provide adequate cooling at stock speeds.

(PS if someone has actually tried a 3000 cooler on a X2 4200 and had it work let me know.)

(PS if someone has actually tried a 3000 cooler on a X2 4200 and had it work let me know.)

Any HSF compatible with a socket 939 MB would work on your X2. I have socket 939's including 4800X2, FX55 and 3800. Any of the Zalman copper HSF will do an excellent job. I use the 9500 and a Zalman Fatality on my 939 sockets. A Zalman 9500/9700 would work for your 4200 X2.

The Zalmans are hardly overpriced. As far as noise, the Zalman 9700 comes with a Fan mate 2 and can achieve noise levels as low as 19.5-35 dBA. They think of everything at Zalman. I own eight Zalmans and noise is not a factor. My fans create less noise than the retail fans. The melt value of the massive amount of copper in one of these fans is practically worth the cost.

$49.00 is overpriced? Compared to what heatsink are you comparing prices to?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

I have two extra retail heatsinks for a 939 Athlon 64 3000, but I am guessing it won't be adequate?

Like I said, the two extra retail 939 heatsinks will work fine on a 4200X2, especially if you will not be overclocking. Try it before you spend any money for a cheapo hsf that will do nothing more for you.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks for the info.

I am going to try a stock AMD 3000 cooler.

If it gets too loud or I decide I want to overclock a bit while keeping the noise down I will start by reading reviews for those Zalman models. :)

---
Also I was tired and misread what you wrote and what I wrote in repose was poorly worded.

For some reason I thought your statement about any 939 doing the trick only covered separately purchased units.

And I meant the "not" to apply to both overclocking and silencing.

Also I should have said "overkill" rather than "overpriced".

Back when I was building custom Socket A systems every third one used a Zalman.

But I have only built a few systems lately, and all of those used the stock Intel/AMD cooler.

Which is why I have read any heatsink reviews or given them much though for the last several years.