topman20042005

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Hi there. :) I'm looking to get a motherboard and i saw the the ASUS Striker 2 Formula has two Ethernet ports. What are they for?

Obviously one is for wired internet but what is the other for.

I had the stupidest thought that it might be for connecting to another computer. ie: the cable goes out of your motherboard and into another one.

I have no idea.

Can some1 help me with this??? :??:

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
can connect to another computer for stuff like Internet connection sharing or bridging, basically providing internet to the second computer (though you would be better off shelling out the 10 bucks for a cheap switch).

Or if you had a reason to be connected to 2 networks at the same time well...there you go.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
These two ports can be combined into a confdfiguration called port teaming.

sigh...these people with more money than they know what to do with. They buy something ("its expensive therefore it must be the best" and they don't even know how to use it)

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007

most decent new motherboards come with 2 ethernet ports. Its not like he really payed more money for a board with 2 ports. Yes you can do port teaming, but its pointless for anything other than say, a server, becuase your internet speed is only a fraction of the speed you get on your lan. He would also need a router/switch that supports a configuration with link aggregation to pull that off even if for some reason he wanted to.

mom3kidsbusy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I am having issues with our business network (we are not connected to the internet). We use a desktop that acts like a server with 14 computers sharing a database on the server thru a 20 port ethernet switch. We are having hang ups while scanning items into our database and Dell suggested we get a second ethernet port so we could have 2 connections into our 20 port ethernet switch.

Will this help any traffic hang ups to the server? Is it hard to set up...or is it just plug in and go?

Thanks for any help you could offer....

Kim

You have replied to a poster who last posted on June 7th, 2008 more that a year aglo. thehelo has moved on and is gone from these forums long ago. Best to start a new thread and ask current members the question in these situations.