Switching Desktop Icons

Anyone know a way of switching the icon used by a desktop icon.. from a
batch file ?

We have some batch files that switch configurations for different versions
of some files we use, e.g. we map drive S to either production or
development directories depending on what version we want to run on, but we
also need to visually show which version we're currently using, so want to
change a desktop icon to reflect the selection.

Thanks
Adrian

Byte

Rightclick the icon and click Rename.
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Adrian Parker" wrote:

> Anyone know a way of switching the icon used by a desktop icon.. from a
> batch file ?
>
> We have some batch files that switch configurations for different versions
> of some files we use, e.g. we map drive S to either production or
> development directories depending on what version we want to run on, but we
> also need to visually show which version we're currently using, so want to
> change a desktop icon to reflect the selection.
>
> Thanks
> Adrian

I take it you didn't read what I posted ?

"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rightclick the icon and click Rename.
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "Adrian Parker" wrote:
>
>> Anyone know a way of switching the icon used by a desktop icon.. from a
>> batch file ?
>>
>> We have some batch files that switch configurations for different
>> versions
>> of some files we use, e.g. we map drive S to either production or
>> development directories depending on what version we want to run on, but
>> we
>> also need to visually show which version we're currently using, so want
>> change a desktop icon to reflect the selection.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Adrian

Byte

Making Good NewsGroup Posts
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
--

"Adrian Parker" wrote:

> I take it you didn't read what I posted ?
>
> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rightclick the icon and click Rename.
> > --
> > Some days you're the windshield,
> > some days you're the bug.
> >

> > "Adrian Parker" wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone know a way of switching the icon used by a desktop icon.. from a
> >> batch file ?
> >>
> >> We have some batch files that switch configurations for different
> >> versions
> >> of some files we use, e.g. we map drive S to either production or
> >> development directories depending on what version we want to run on, but
> >> we
> >> also need to visually show which version we're currently using, so want
> >> change a desktop icon to reflect the selection.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Adrian

And your point being ?

If you don't understand a question, don't reply to it.

> Making Good NewsGroup Posts
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "Adrian Parker" wrote:
>
>> I take it you didn't read what I posted ?
>>
>> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Rightclick the icon and click Rename.
>> > --
>> > Some days you're the windshield,
>> > some days you're the bug.

You don't give enough information. I personally think it's a stupid idea but can think of many ways of doing it. What icon.