El_Hefe

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
What's the deal with the Ultra PSU's? I hear a lot of people on various boards say they are crap, but the new X3's got good reviews, and they are cheaply priced.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
i have one of 600 watts, even thought is 2 generation it sucks and is loud.

i dont know what to say about new ones, just that i wont buy ultra agian.

AdamJ

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
My Ultra X-finity 600 watt PSU is a little more than a year old and still runs great. To me its not loud, but idk what loud really is probably

4745454b

Titan
Heres my take on the whole thing.

My biggest problem with Ultra is that they were so new. How are we supposed to know what the build quality on their products is? As a new company, we have no history on them. With their first products, I didn't hear anything great about them. Some complained of fan noise, others complained of slightly low power outputs. (like 11.8 on the 12volt rail, low, but not underspec.)

They have been around for awhile now, and I'm starting to see/hear better things about them. While I'm not impressed with their 1600/2000W PSU, the x3 line is very good. If they can continue to make products like that, then I would have no problem suggesting them for builds. As it stands right now for me, I have them in the same place that I hold ThermalTake or Hipro, but they aren't Apevia (aspire) or Kingwin. This means that if someone says they have one, I don't need to tell them to go get a real PSU.