9700NT owners unite

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I love my new Zalman 9700NT HSF and from now on will continue to purchase these coolers for all future air cooled builds. here's a quick personal review:

Pros:
great performance
stylish
big fan for better cooling at low RPM
it glows (LEDs are always a pro with me XD)
includes TIM
easy mounting (for AMD anyways)
wind-tunnel effect
Big (more surface area to spread heat to)
high quality lapping w\mirror finish
cools down mobo components

Cons:
Big (very large HSF needs lots of room)
Heavy

Other thoughts:
All I can say is wow! From the moment I saw the box I was in awe. this thing is HUGE. Pictures make it look big but it is much, much bigger in real life. Mine didn't have any fins bent or as sharp as stated in previous articles, very good packaging. Installation was a breeze. I removed my VGA card when installing the HSF just for better maneuverability. I didn't get a chance to try their thermal paste as I use Artic Silver 5. the retention clip for AMD CPUs is easily attached to the motherboard with a little bit of force (nothing crazy just a nice little push to latch into place) I was able to mount this in any direction but chose to have to pulling air from the front and push it out the rear for obvious performance reasons. the 9700NT comes with a 4pin fan connector which fits fine on to a three pin connector(my mobo is a 3 pin)however if you have a 3pin connector the fan will be at full throttle (2766 RPM) which while it isn't loud it isn't quiet either.
Having the 4pin connector would allow for the fan to be throttled by the temp for a quiet operation. This HSF is so powerful at full power that it made my rear case fan behind it increase by 500RPM lol. My OC'd CPU has not gone over 51C after hours of testing and benchmarking

Get this HSF! It's worth the extra few bucks.

mimart7

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I use it and am quite happy with it. Haven't used the grease included, use AS 5 myself. I am considering other options, such as peltier coolers ie Chill Tec, possibly something along the lines lines of the Cool It systems. Not up to water cooling, too much work.