Sound Cards

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
How much does a sound card really matter? About 8-10 years ago when I built my first system ever I got a nice $100 sound card. Ever since then I have always used onboard sound. I am currently looking at getting a new mobo, cpu, and ram. I was wondering if I should throw in a sound card.

I only game on this computer. I do not use it to watch movies or anything like that. It will more than likely be $50-100 for a decent sound card, but it that a waste?

Yes, it's a waste, usually. It depends on the quality of onboard audio and the quality of your speakers. For example GA-P35-DS3R has better sound than some $50 sound cards out there, according to some reviewers. I did get a $100 X-Fi XtremeMusic but I listen to music a lot and I have some pretty fancy speakers too.

Why don't you just try without the sound card? You can always add it later if you're not 100% satisfied with onboard audio.

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks for the quick answers.

Honestly since I have been using onboard for so long I really dont know what ""good"" quality would be. Plus I do not even have computer speakers currently just headphones.

Funny I am going with a similar motherboard the GA-P35-DS3L. I am not sure what the difference is in the 2. Other than 8 SATA ports and DDR1066 support. Neither are important enough to spend $35 more.

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
LOL

I have a wife and a 2.5 year old boy. I will never have $400 with nothing smarter to do :D

BTW When you say dont care about raid do you mean the MOBO I wont can not handle any raid or it just doesnt have as much SATA slots?

I plan on setting up a RAID, just not a huge one.

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Sounds like R it is.

I really want to setup 0+1 raid. I have another port going in the RAID forum about that. Maybe you know.

Can I setup 0+1 with drives 1&2 WD Rapitors and drives 3&4 normal hard drives? I would want to be running 100% of the time on drives 1&2 and if either failed to kick over the 3&4 untill I could get another Rapitor for a rebuild.

Thanks Again for all your help!

No problem.

I'll let the experts handle the RAID questions. I like your plan, but I have no clue if it's doable. Do you want drives 3 and 4 to mirror drives 1 and 2 for data safety? Just curious, not that I'd actually be able to say how it's done...

I suspect that setting up a RAID is not that hard, because my local shop charges only $5 to do it.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006

Well, I wouldn't consider myself a RAID master or anything, but I'll tell you right now that you can do that. I wouldn't recommend it because the spindles aren't synchronized. What you could do is setup the raptors in RAID 0 and then the two other drives as a separate RAID setup, and that actually might be a better bet.

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
The main thing I want in the raptors high speed in raid0 but I want all that data also writen to other drive/drives at the same time so i am protected.