Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My dvd player freezes and skips when i play burnt dvd's?

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2008 8:31:33 PM

HELP!!My dvd player freezes and skips when i play burnt dvd's. :fou: 

Is the problem with my player or the discs?

The disks are the best quality i could buy (Verbatim 16x) and i am using a brand-new-2-day-old-computer to burn them. The disk are DVD-R.
tech specs:
2GB Ram
2.4GHz processor
8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB of GDDR3 memory

The movie is fine and plays well up till about 1hr 30min, then it goes crazy and freezes every 7seconds or so. :cry: 

My DVD player is 3yrs old, a LG V782W, and after buying this computer, i don't really have the $$ to buy a new one, so if there are any other options apart from that, that would be great.

P.S-- I made a DVD image with iDVD '08 and then compressed it and burnt it with Toast 8 Titanium, if that helps.

Thanks for any help you can give....

January 1, 2008 9:06:16 PM

Does a non-burned CD cause the same problems? Does a different burned CD studder at the same spot? If no to the first and yes to the second, then your burner laser transport head is not functiong well at the physical point on the cd where it's failing. Meaning the CD burner is going bad.
January 1, 2008 9:17:41 PM

At what speed are you burning your disc? If you are getting coasters then you may be burning to fast. Burning movies, I recommend 4X or 6X for single layer, and 2.4X for double layer. It may take a little longer, but you will have better results. I use Verbatim 16X DVD+R because my stand alone DVD player reads +R better than -R. If your player is a stand alone make sure it was made to read DVD-R, not all stand alone players will read both formats. Disc are burnt from the inside diameter out and if it starts at 4X inside it will be burning at a faster rate when it reaches the outside edge if you let it burn without setting a speed. That's why most coasters occur at the end of the movie. lol.
Related resources
January 1, 2008 9:25:32 PM

Hey dallasjoh, I never thought of that, great point!
a b G Storage
January 1, 2008 9:32:35 PM

Other things that you can check:

If you give the same disk that stutters to someone else, what happens when he plays it?

Have someone else record onto one of your disks, using the same software, and play it on your system to see what happens.
January 2, 2008 4:30:04 AM

Thanks for those answers so quickly. In answer to some of those questions, CD's do not cause any problem when playing, even burnt ones. Normal, bought DVD's play fine, so now i don't think it could be my DVD player. Also, the problem burnt DVD does not skip at the same points.... what does this mean? This is really frustrating because the last sentence makes it sound as if its a DVD player problem again... but how can it be when proper DVD's play fine and all CD's play fine? :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :pfff:  :pfff:  :pfff: 

I am burning the disks at 4x.... do you think i should slow that down? it's already pretty slow.

thanks jsc: Will try soon on someone elses player ASAP.
January 2, 2008 4:58:44 AM

No, do not burn any slower, 4X is fine, and Verbatim are very good disc. Proper DVD's, I assume your talking about the ones you purchase, these disc are not burnt. Movies on DVD that you purchase or rent are pressed, sort of like the old 45 & 78 records of long ago. Try LG's web site and see if they have a firmware update for your DVD burner. It is just going to take some time to troubleshoot the problem so hang in there. lol.

When you say DVD player, are you talking about the same one you burn the DVD with, or are you talking about a stand alone connected to your TV?
January 2, 2008 5:21:22 AM

Oh sorry dallasjoh, i mean not my computer but my stand alone DVD player connected to my TV. :) 

My computer DVD player seems to play the disks fine.... :??:  :??: 

Thanks for that tibit of info there about the company DVD's, couldn't understand how they worked flawlessly :bounce:  :ouch:  ;) 
January 2, 2008 10:36:54 PM

Let me know how, or if, you resolve the issue! lol.
January 2, 2008 11:18:57 PM

I've actually read Verbatim single layers vary in quality (while their D/L are some of the best).

I personally use TY (the best blanks made in Japan, bought online) @ 4x for home/family movies and other info that I do not want to lose.

I use Sony's for backing up DVD's, games and other data that's not as important. You can get them on sale (BestBuy, FredMeyers/Kroger, etc.) 100 for $22-25. I burn them @ 8x from a seperate hard drive and have never had a coaster or CRC error (and some of them are now 3+ years old).

Another thing is that retail movie DVD's have a layer break (since they're dual layer), and if you don't have your software remove it while transcoding/encoding you may notice it as a pause during the movie. Some DVD players will make it almost tranparent, while others will freeze up as if there is an error/glitch in the disc.
January 2, 2008 11:48:17 PM

Noya,

Funny, I read the same thing about TY!!!

The TY disc that you use are they +R or -R. I have been debating on whether to switch because sometimes I can get them on line cheaper than Verbatim.
January 3, 2008 12:58:10 AM

Ok, where to begin, everyone has good info, let's just add a tidbit. Hold 2 blank DVD up to the light, 1 DVD+R and the other DVD-R of the same brand (Ex: Memorex sell both kind). You will notice some light comong through the DVD-R and not the DVD+R, this has to do with density. DVD+R has more density, last longer "technically" then the DVD-R. Now just because I say it, doesn't mean I follow by example, I RiData 16x DVD-R disc and sometimes use TDK 16x DVD+R printables for the disc I want printed on. Now I use an LG 18x DVD+/-R burner, I use DVDFab Platinum 3.2 and have made more then 5000 movies in the last year, new burner, last one died (was an LG 16x DVD+/-R burner) I have only made about 40 coasters, (not really coasters because my cousin has a stand alone LG DVD player and the coasters work for him). I copy the complete DVD including menus and languages at 16x encoding/writing speed. Average time to take a new movie is 17 minutes encoded to harddrive and 6 minutes back to disk, copied movies (already burnt) take 13 minutes total for encoding and writing.
I use a Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz dual core), 1.5 Gb ram, and 160Gb SATA HD.
January 3, 2008 6:01:38 PM

rattman169 said:
I copy the complete DVD including menus and languages at 16x encoding/writing speed. Average time to take a new movie is 17 minutes encoded to harddrive.
I use a Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz dual core), 1.5 Gb ram, and 160Gb SATA HD.

Sorry to say, but you're transcoding the disc if it only takes 17 minutes on a Pentium D, not encoding. I don't know what you watch movies on, but transcoded full discs look horrid on my 42" 1080p and are unwatchable on my 720p front projector @ 92". Scene releases look great because they generally have one audio track and are encoded with CCE at around 3.5+ Mbps average. (not trying to sound like a smartass).

Also, Memorex sells blanks from many different producers and they vary wildly in quality (even in the same spindle/pack). One will burn at @ 16x while the next 2-3 will only be 4x. DVD Identifier will show three different disc manufacturers in a single spindle.
a b G Storage
January 3, 2008 6:25:47 PM

Noya said:

Also, Memorex sells blanks from many different producers and they vary wildly in quality (even in the same spindle/pack). One will burn at @ 16x while the next 2-3 will only be 4x. DVD Identifier will show three different disc manufacturers in a single spindle.

So far I've had pretty good luck with Memorex and Verbatim, but I noticed exactly what you're describing with FujiFilm. :( 

@OP: Verbatim disks are among the best, AFAIK. Try another brand anyway, just to see if it makes a difference.
January 3, 2008 7:09:32 PM

Hey guys, we may be getting a little away from the post and confusing them more.

Conmoy, have you any updates for us on what you have tried as for as troubleshooting.
January 4, 2008 12:03:32 AM

Thanks Dallasjoh.

What i did was i tried on a friends newer DVD player, as it worked without any glitches. There must be some kind of buffer on his that is not on my older one;

Quote Noya: "Some DVD players will make it almost tranparent, while others will freeze up as if there is an error/glitch in the disc."

I still don't understand why my DVD's i burn have these glitches, but i guess i will just have to keep trying with different settings :) 

Thanks for all your help.
October 21, 2008 11:31:15 PM

Update your Stand alone firm ware ,

if the units over 3 years get prepared for a new one , all unit as of 2008 are required to have a USB or Eithernet connection for this update.

Verb x16 +r's burn best at 12x , on a 18x burner I use DVDfab an DNC Pro but had to upgrade my Stand alone to a 2008 Samsung BDUP5000 BD/HD/DVD upscale unit an all my freezing an skipping stopped

December 3, 2008 7:47:39 PM

Ok, I am new here, and just found this site when I googled my problem. I have a 5 or more year old Apex cheesy little DVD player that plays all of my burned DVD with no problems. When I try to watch them in my friends Philips surround sound DVD player that is only like 2 years old, they skip all over and freeze. Sounds like the same problems that some other people are having, and am just wondering what the solution is. Is it just the DVD player? Because I find it a little odd that my old little thing works wonderfully but any newer high quality DVD players I have tried won't let me watch the whole movie through. Does it solve the problem when you burn slower? I usually just do it at a higher speed because they play fine in my little Apex. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks and sorry if I have asked this question in the wrong thread or something, or if I missed a solution when reading through.
December 28, 2008 4:09:03 PM

Conmoy, when you say 'freezes & skips' can you explain that in a little more detail? I've had the same problem with EVERY one of my burnt DVD+R DVD9 discs over the last 3 years. It will reach a point in the movie, seemingly when it switches layers, freeze for a second then quickly skip to the next scene! I've used ALL kinds of media and it's the same result every time. I use a pioneer DVR-A09XL with the latest firmware with AnyDVD running in the background. Anyway, from what I'm reading here, chances are that my player (an old Denon DVD-900) probably doesn't handle the DVD+R mdeia the way others might. I'm upgrading to BlueRay very soon so I'm hoping for better luck with playback. It would sure be comforting knowing that it's just a matter of upgrading to better hardware vs. having 200+ bad DVD's!
January 26, 2009 12:44:40 AM

I have had the same problem as well as my brother, and mom. As DVD players get older or used more often one of the first things they do if they could read DVD Rs is to develop problems reading them back. DVDs movies purchased at the store will continue to play fine for awhile but over time it will have problems with those too. I have discovered that the laser and software just will have these issues over time. The solution is to simple update your DVD player to a newer one (make sure the play media you use i.e, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW). In my experience DVD players just don't last that long. Buying the so-called high end is no guarantee they will last any longer. I paid over $400.00 for a High End JVC that only lasted five years. Now anything to far over $100.00 is my limit. The sub $30.00 ones are really no good in my opinion. The best bet is just to get a PC Media Center that connects to your TV. Then you will be able to remove the DVD player and replace it with out have to purchase a whole new system when it stops working.
February 25, 2009 10:23:39 AM

I think everyone is missing a very simple detail here - Most people are only finding problems when they try to play burnt DVD discs on an HD-DVD player, DVD upconvert player or a Blu-ray player. I am assuming that these type of DVD players are much much too sensitive to read and play a burned DVD. I have burned 100's of store bought DVD movies using a brand new burner built in a quality laptop that I just purchased a couple months ago. EVERY one of them play perfectly in normal DVD players. NOT ONE OF THEM plays at all in my blu-ray player or my Samsung upconvert DVD player. I have used the best blank DVD media and I have used both +R & -R types. Most of them wont even get past the menu without skipping to the point of the DVD player stopping it!
So, in my opinion, it is not the burner. It is not your media. It seems they are making the new & improved DVD players less compatible with burned media - in an effort to stop people from copying discs. Doesn't this make perfect sense?
March 3, 2009 10:10:55 PM

I think that you got an almost perfectly sense, but you still miss an argument (the compatibility and precision). Yes, my 15 years old Pioneer CD player (deck) doesn't even care about audio protection and just plays the CD with superb clarity and doesn't stop in any data track even if they are plenty on the disc, but don't get confused because there is a price to pay for that oldness and delightful liberty, you don't have mp3 or any other format supported (flak, ogg, etc).

Now you can really be surprised by some new hardware (like my new Phillips DVD player), when I tried to play H.264 the player took about 2 minutes to read the video file but it actually played and in a super fluid playback, when it states only Divx support (yes, I know that H.264 get in a MP4 container, but there is always a limit on the total amount of information that the internal decoder can handle).

And by the way Casual, I think that you got a wrong opinion on hi-end systems (no-offense, just a point of view), they don't make them to last, but only to get every essence of the data that are on the medium.

So if you want my opinion, go for the Golden Middle.

Conmoy, if you have some doubts about your mediums, check their surface with a check disk tool like Nero CD/DVD speed, and you can also make a burn in the same utility to check the writing capabilities of your writer.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 31, 2009 5:37:48 PM

Hi

I have the same problem, however this is on my new computer. On my old one the burnt discs were fine so I feel that rules out the disc quality or the stand alone player being dodgy. There must be some setting that causes this: I have been told to try and take off the PIME and MIME settings but to be honest I don't know where to find them on my PC whick is running on Vista! Any ideas anyone?

Cheers zx6rliam
October 17, 2009 7:08:58 PM

hi;
old post i know but still could be useful to answer so here it is. I had the same problem. I uninstalled a few things and it stopped. I had codecs from different places and a few players. I removed all but the K lite codec pack and Ffdshow which comes with Media Player Classic. so I have that and win media Player installed . Removed Itunes and Real Player as real gave me problems always.
Now As far as I can tell so far I have no freezing problems.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 18, 2009 10:55:20 PM

Noya said:
I've actually read Verbatim single layers vary in quality (while their D/L are some of the best).

I personally use TY (the best blanks made in Japan, bought online) @ 4x for home/family movies and other info that I do not want to lose.

I use Sony's for backing up DVD's, games and other data that's not as important. You can get them on sale (BestBuy, FredMeyers/Kroger, etc.) 100 for $22-25. I burn them @ 8x from a seperate hard drive and have never had a coaster or CRC error (and some of them are now 3+ years old).

Another thing is that retail movie DVD's have a layer break (since they're dual layer), and if you don't have your software remove it while transcoding/encoding you may notice it as a pause during the movie. Some DVD players will make it almost tranparent, while others will freeze up as if there is an error/glitch in the disc.

i have no problems burning disks, i use programs like dvd shrink and also dvd fab, they work perfect everytime on stand alone players and computers, after so many years of doing this 1 thing that is so important that no one has talked about is that 20 second lag in voice, when you are burning a disk, do not touch your computer or mouse and make sure that your screen savers are turned off. i have been doing this for many years and i can burn a perfect dvd copy everytime.
May 30, 2010 3:43:01 PM

Hello,

In this knowledge oriented world we often miss the most obvious solutions. Have you tried cleaning the DVD? Use a non-abrasive cloth, with a middle to outside motion. This worked perfectly for me!
a b G Storage
May 30, 2010 5:10:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!