mobo recommendations

jpast451

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I'm building a new computer and i am not sure which motherboard to get, but am positive i am getting the following:

Intel Core 2 duo Quad core q6600 1066FSB
Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
3 GB kingston DDR2 667 Mhz
WD 120GB Sata HDD
Pioneer DVD burner (sata)

I am looking into overclocking, but really have very littel experience. I am looking for a motherboard I can do that with. If it's not possible to overclock, or would be pointless to, I just need a good midrange socket 775 motherboard. Only have 2.1 speakers so 8 channel audio isnt important

In another topic, I am using the 120Gb drive to load my OS (vista premium...uggh :pfff: ), and am wondering if i would have better performance on a SATA2 drive (i am also purchasing a 500GB samsung Sata2 for data storage). The only reason i'm using the 120GB is because i already have it in my current computer, and this machine is going to cost me $1500cdn after taxes and it'd be nice to not spend an extra hundred if i don't need to.

thanks guys, I know you geniuses can help me get this thing built!

dradoc

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
If you can wait about another month, i would go for a X38 chipset based mobo. All the big names will be making them and it will be a OC ready mobo. Currently the 680i mobos are good for oc'ing but require a bit of a bios update to really work great.

If you can wait even longer wait for Penryn if you really want premium quad core performance (if that really applies to you)