Should I Buy The HD 2900XT?

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
So it turns out through my work I can buy an HD 2900XT 512MB directly from AMD through an accommodation site for $270. I think its a great deal but I'm still a bit worried.

-Heat
-AA/AF
-8pin PCIE

So the above listed are the conserns that I have. Now it seems lately with new drivers I've been hearing nothing but good things about the card. I've heard AA/AF has gotten much better. However my 700W Thermaltake doesn't have an 8pin PCIE slot on it, but I doubt I'll be overclocking the card so big deal? Now even with the issues it seems like for $270 it would still be worth it considering I spent more on my 7950GT back when it was new.

Well let me know on what your guys thoughts are.

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
As an HD2900XT owner, I can honestly say, alot of those concerns were overblown. If the card does indeed run that hot, the fan more then compensates for it. My card is idling at 53C right now and might dip into the low 80's under full load with a fairly aggressive OC (833/888). AA/AF has been largely fixed with the 7.8 Catalyst driver release, so don't really take THG's benchies as bible quotes (seeing as how they were done with early drivers). AS for the 8 pin PCIE, you technically do not need it. You can use 2 6 pin PCIE's as long as you can live with not having ATI Overdrive enabled (so no OC'ing or temp monitor without an 8 pin). In the end I'm happy with the card, and I spent a hell of alot more on it than you did. I would be on that like a fat kid in a candy
store.

By the way, you have not seen heat unless you've played with the old X1900 series. My X1900GT would Idle in the mid 70C's and under load would hit 90-93C. She was my original fire hazzard.
Cheers

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
If I could get one for that price I would jump on it in a sec. I have heard so many negative things on the card that I cant justify myself spending ~$380 on it, but for $270 - $300 I would get it in a sec. I have always loved my ATI cards, but all the negative reviews have had me holding out for a refresh of either the HD series or the 8800 series. But as I said before for that price I cant see any reason why you should pass it up.

Best,

3Ball

4745454b

Titan
If it helps, think of it this way. What else can you get for $270? The only other performance card at that price is the 8800GTS 320MB. With the newest drivers, the 2900XT is faster then the "real" 8800GTS, it is also faster then the 320MB edition. For the money you are putting down, the 2900XT is the fastest you can get.

You might also be able to get an 8 pin adapter. I have found reports of them being made, but I can't find one for sale.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Heat my ***.

For that price you HAVE to buy it.

Dude, get it.

GET 2.

Trust me, crossfire scales WAY better than SLI.

The 8 pin connectors are only for the overdrive CCC thingie, and from what i have seen you can wait a while before you even need that. DO NOT PASS THIS DEAL UP. If you do i will find you and kill you.

I had to pay $600 for mine cause of the crap country i live in so you can get 2 for what i paid for 1.

Rackers

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
That's cheap and worth the buy. Without fan control mods and a small overclock 774/885, I'm idling at 51c and getting to around 70-75c on load. It's not even as loud as some people say, at 100% fan speed it is like a jet plane.

killer_roach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Heat shouldn't be much of a worry... heck, an overclocked 8800GTS even will get to some phenomenal temps (mine's been known to hit 93C under load).

With recent driver versions, the 2900XT is a heck of a card for the price... it's still not a GTX killer, but it's close enough, and, for the price that you're being offered it, it's a no-brainer to end all no-brainers.

grimstar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
My card actually came with a 6 to 8 pin adapter (gecube)

I'll admit that sometimes the heat scares me. Right now it's sitting idle at 58c, hits temps in the 80s under full load...and on a hot day I've even seen it hit 92 (probably not healthy).

After running the card for a couple of weeks I noticed that although I could hear the fan kicking on when it went into 3D mode, it was no where near where I expected it to be. ATI Tool .27 allows you to go in and change the values of fan speeds at certain temperatures as well as a few more things. Needless to say kicking it up to 100% is the loudest thing I have ever had inside of a computer, but it lowered the temps another 8-10c.

Either way I don't regret getting it...and at that price I would've "not regretted" it even more.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I unfortunately don't get the 1GB version and I can only buy direct from ATI. Through the company that I work for, we get special accomodations from various companies.

Rackers

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Go ahead and get it, excellent price. You will not be disappointed. The Crysis beta is out right now, I'm going to try and get my key so I'll post back about performance with the 2900XT.