Athlon x2 4000+ overheating!

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Alright, I just finished my budget build pc and I went into the bios after I turned it on for the first time...I noticed the cpu temperature reading 54 celsius, then about 2 minutes later, it went up to around 64-66 celsius! that's when I got a bit worried. It's an athlon x2 4000+ brisbane! which is running on 65 watts, meaning that it should be even cooler than the windsor version. So, can anyone please tell me why this is happening? I'm using stock cooling btw, and the heatsink/fan is seated perfectly. Is it because the thermal paste needs time to settle? (it's the pre-applied paste that came with it). Or what could be the problem?

All help is appreciated!

Oh and the case ventilation is excellent.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
There are only 2 possibilities here.
1. The heatsink is NOT seated properly. This could be for several reasons:
a. The heatsink is not level on the chip.
b. The processor does not have thermal paste applied correctly.
c. The processor is defective internally- the heatspreader is warped/not level.

2. The system board is running the chip incorrectly.
a. The chip speed has been set/read incorrectly and is running faster.
b. The chip voltage has been set/read incorrectly.

These are the most likely causes of your high temps.
First, check the BIOS settings. Look to see if the voltage is set to 1.35 instead of the correct 1.25v. Make sure that the chip is running at 2100mhz also. If this is not the cause, the heat is caused by a physical heat dissipation problem. First, remove the heatsink, thermal paste, and reapply it according to AMD's instructions. Make sure that the retention mechanism is down all the way, it can take a bit of force.

Get back to us about your results or questions.
Best of Luck