X850XT not performing like it used to

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hi. I recently noticed that whenever i played a game my computer would start making a single beep[ every ten seconds or so. I opened up the box to check if the fan of the gpu was clogged and sure enough there was lots of dust that i had to clear out. I put the thing back in the computer and made sure that the fan was going and everything was put back together in the right place. However now when i play half life 2 ep 1 i get a poor fps. I have all the same settings on as i used to. My gpu has an aftermarket coller. I think its one of the arctic freezer ones but forgotten now. What could be the problem? Is it likely to be an overheating issue?

Have ran any virus scans on the system? I know I get beeps from my antivirus program when a virus is detected. Not saying that is your case, but just trying to limit the variables. It's also possible that your memory is/has been affected. Do you have 1,2,3, or 4 sticks of ram? If you bring up your control panel and click on the system icon, it should tell you how much ram you currently have. If this number is less than what you had before, than you might have a stick gone bad on you. If so, you could try and isolate all of your ram sticks, one by one to verify each stick.
Your mobo could be overheating and causing the "beep" sound, but I'm not sure on this one.
What are your system specs? Maybe there is something that we can see in your specs that might help us point to something (i.e. PSU, case, etc.).

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I have 3 sticks of RAM adding up to 1GB and that is still what my system is saying. I have AVG free edition doing a scan everyday and spysweeper doing a scan everyday. The beeping wasn't from my speakers it was something from the computer itself. I haven't had any more beeps however i haven't had the game on for very long. The fps aren't terrible, just a bit jerky. To clear out the dust i took the cooler off the chipbard. are there any instructions anwhere on how to fix an arctic cooling silencer 5 for ati cards. I just had a look and that is what i have.

System specs are pentium 4 3.6
1.0GB RAM
I have a pretty rubbish MSI motherboard. I didnt put the system together, just added to it. The model number of my board isnt on the MSI website

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Maybe you damaged your card while cleaning? I don't think it's cooler because it was working before. Coolers just don't fall off when they are screwed in.

Try a different game. If it does this to another game I think there might be something wrong with your card. If another game works reinstall half life.

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
When i said fix i meant attach it to the card. I took it off the card when i was clearing the dust away from it. I just took the cooler off again and realised that when i was reattaching it before one of the thermal pads moved. I replaced it back to where it should be and tried the game again. Its now working perfectly. Didn't think it would be anything so simple. Thanks anyway