Hit 14 with RAH. Had an alt for whom Flight made sense, for pretty much the
first time. Took Air Superiority for soloing firepower, then took Flight at
14.

WHEEEEEEEEE!!! :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Hit 14 with RAH. Had an alt for whom Flight made sense, for pretty much the
>first time. Took Air Superiority for soloing firepower, then took Flight at
>14.
>
>WHEEEEEEEEE!!! :)

Wow, in all this time you've never had flight?

That was exactly my reaction to flight - I just zoomed up and flew
around the city enjoying things.
Well, until my end gave out and I plummeted back to street level.

Quite the difference from hover and quite different from the others, but
the slowness will start to gnaw at you after a while.

It's not bad once it's slotted (4fly speeds), but still slower than the
others.
For the life of me I can't figure out why cryptic has always insisted
that it have the highest end costs, and the acc penalty (now thankfully
gone) and slower than the others even full slotted while the others are
unslotted. Slower unslotted, fine. Higher cost to balance it's
"safeness", fine. But slower slotted than others unslotted AND ultra
high end costs? Makes no sense to me.

Gratz on RAH's 14.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> WHEEEEEEEEE!!! :)

> Wow, in all this time you've never had flight?

Nope. None of my alts that made it that far suited a flight power.

> That was exactly my reaction to flight - I just zoomed up and flew
> around the city enjoying things.
> Well, until my end gave out and I plummeted back to street level.

One DO EndRed and I don't lose any End. I don't gain any, either - it
looks like it's a wash between Fly use and regen.

I think my next two slots go into it, one for speed and the other for
another EndRed. Have to experiment.

> Quite the difference from hover and quite different from the others,
> but the slowness will start to gnaw at you after a while.

The complete lack of obstacles makes up for it. Just lift, point, autorun
and go get another cup of coffee. Or sit back and admire the view. Hell,
I was taking the scenic route in *Boomtown*. :)

> Gratz on RAH's 14.

Thx.

--

Xocyll wrote:
> It's not bad once it's slotted (4fly speeds), but still slower than
the
> others.
> For the life of me I can't figure out why cryptic has always insisted
> that it have the highest end costs

Teleport's end cost is worse.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 13:45:22 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>Hit 14 with RAH. Had an alt for whom Flight made sense, for pretty much the
>>first time. Took Air Superiority for soloing firepower, then took Flight at
>>14.
>>
>>WHEEEEEEEEE!!! :)

>That was exactly my reaction to flight - I just zoomed up and flew
>around the city enjoying things.
>Well, until my end gave out and I plummeted back to street level.

Make sure you turn off Sprint...the endurance drain from Fly is really not
that bad by itself.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:45:36 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> One DO EndRed and I don't lose any End. I don't gain any, either - it
> looks like it's a wash between Fly use and regen.
>
> I think my next two slots go into it, one for speed and the other for
> another EndRed. Have to experiment.

Be advised that flight speed will gradually increase for each level even
if you don't augment it. It doesn't close the gap to superspeed, but it is
quite noticeably faster after a few levels.

> Just lift, point, autorun
> and go get another cup of coffee. Or sit back and admire the view. Hell,
> I was taking the scenic route in *Boomtown*. :)

Boomtown is actually quite photogenic if you're into dystopia style
fiction. Also, I've used screenshots from there to illustrate my articles
on the future of the American economy. ^_^

good sign." -G

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> Hit 14 with RAH. Had an alt for whom Flight made sense, for pretty much
the
> first time. Took Air Superiority for soloing firepower, then took Flight
at
> 14.
>
> WHEEEEEEEEE!!! :)

I took flight on my first character. Since then, I haven't taken it on a
single character, since it just hasn't fit into the builds for one reason or
another. I have to admit, when I fire up that first character and fly
around, it's still a thrill.

"Andy Pear" <Andy_Pear@Spamhawk.com> wrote:
> I took flight on my first character. Since then, I haven't taken it
> on a single character, since it just hasn't fit into the builds for
> one reason or another. I have to admit, when I fire up that first
> character and fly around, it's still a thrill.

Exactly the reverse for me - 3 major alts, three or four lesser ones, and
the only high views I've gotten are when I SJ, or when I teleport as high
as I can. Being able to cruise around at altitude in zones I know like the
back of my hand is a whole surprising new experience.

--

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

> Make sure you turn off Sprint...the endurance drain from Fly is
> really not that bad by itself.

As Shenanigunner can atest, there are several binds that you could use:

/bind F "powexec_name Fly$$powexec_name Sprint" which toggles you
between fly and sprint and adds the removal of the 'instant' death of
auto-follow. You can use another key besides F, but I like it.

With the patch that changed Fly/Hover automatically when you 'attack'
something, you don't have to 'really' worry about that, but one could
also:

/bind H "powexec_name Hover$$powexec_name Fly" which will toggle you
between Hover and Fly. I find this useful in Hami raids, especially
when the yellow death springs up, and I need to vacate quickly ;)

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>> WHEEEEEEEEE!!! :)
>
>> Wow, in all this time you've never had flight?
>
>Nope. None of my alts that made it that far suited a flight power.
>
>> That was exactly my reaction to flight - I just zoomed up and flew
>> around the city enjoying things.
>> Well, until my end gave out and I plummeted back to street level.
>
>One DO EndRed and I don't lose any End. I don't gain any, either - it
>looks like it's a wash between Fly use and regen.

My first flier was an en/dev blaster.
With the added drain of targeting drone, a DO end reducer didn't come
close to keeping regen positive.

>I think my next two slots go into it, one for speed and the other for
>another EndRed. Have to experiment.

I always put at least one into it, if for no other reason than getting a
second DO end reducer into the power. Then at the SO level that slot
goes to a flight speed.

>> Quite the difference from hover and quite different from the others,
>> but the slowness will start to gnaw at you after a while.
>
>The complete lack of obstacles makes up for it. Just lift, point, autorun
>and go get another cup of coffee. Or sit back and admire the view. Hell,
>I was taking the scenic route in *Boomtown*. :)

Just wait till you go to DA, where the lack of sight range makes that
lack of obstacles not quite so pleasant.

Flight is, hands down, the best travel power for outdoor click/rescue
missions. Especially ones like the War Walls Badge missions which can
be failed if they destroy things.
[I actually did this one twice recently; first with a team and it got
failed because people didn't listen and activated the groups around at
least one of the generators. I told them how to do it (find and rescue
the engineers and make damn sure to stay clear of the generators until
last, then clear them quickly) but they ran around attacking things that
didn't need to be attacked, then whoom back in the train station we all
were.
Then I got the mission a couple days later, soloed it successfully using
SS, but damn I missed fly.

It wasn't a bad team, pretty good actually, but god damn that mission
underscored why soloing exists.]

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading
> the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
> signs say:

>>> Wow, in all this time you've never had flight?
>>
>>Nope. None of my alts that made it that far suited a flight power.
>>
>>> That was exactly my reaction to flight - I just zoomed up and flew
>>> around the city enjoying things.
>>> Well, until my end gave out and I plummeted back to street level.
>>
>>One DO EndRed and I don't lose any End. I don't gain any, either - it
>>looks like it's a wash between Fly use and regen.
>
> My first flier was an en/dev blaster.
> With the added drain of targeting drone, a DO end reducer didn't come
> close to keeping regen positive.
>
>>I think my next two slots go into it, one for speed and the other for
>>another EndRed. Have to experiment.
>
> I always put at least one into it, if for no other reason than getting
> a second DO end reducer into the power. Then at the SO level that
> slot goes to a flight speed.
>
>>> Quite the difference from hover and quite different from the others,
>>> but the slowness will start to gnaw at you after a while.
>>
>>The complete lack of obstacles makes up for it. Just lift, point,
>>autorun and go get another cup of coffee. Or sit back and admire the
>>view. Hell, I was taking the scenic route in *Boomtown*. :)
>
> Just wait till you go to DA, where the lack of sight range makes that
> lack of obstacles not quite so pleasant.
>
> Flight is, hands down, the best travel power for outdoor click/rescue
> missions. Especially ones like the War Walls Badge missions which
> can be failed if they destroy things.
> [I actually did this one twice recently; first with a team and it got
> failed because people didn't listen and activated the groups around at
> least one of the generators. I told them how to do it (find and
> rescue the engineers and make damn sure to stay clear of the
> generators until last, then clear them quickly) but they ran around
> attacking things that didn't need to be attacked, then whoom back in
> the train station we all were.
> Then I got the mission a couple days later, soloed it successfully
> using SS, but damn I missed fly.
>
> It wasn't a bad team, pretty good actually, but god damn that mission
> underscored why soloing exists.]

Just did that mission myself last night with my fire tank - Super Jump
made it easy as pie :)

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

"The Black Guardian" <blakgard@aol.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>> It's not bad once it's slotted (4fly speeds), but still slower than
>the
>> others.
>> For the life of me I can't figure out why cryptic has always insisted
>> that it have the highest end costs
>
>Teleport's end cost is worse.

Yes but teleport is also faster, and slotted up for range, considerably
faster, so the actual endurance burned to get from point a to point b is
likely less than flys.

Every travel power is faster than fly, even when fly is slotted fully,
it's still the slowest, because it's capped off, that makes the end cost
a bit much to have as well.

Xocyll

I'd like to see Superspeed like in the comic books i.e. the faster you
run (meaning slotted with speed enhancements) would permit running on
water instead of swimming and if you slotted it even more, you could
run on walls !!!