Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I installed a new 120GB hard drive, installed win xp home with sp2 on
it. I had made three partitionas on the hard drive, each of 40 GB. NOw I
can see only 2 partitions, the third partition is gone, not visible in
the windows file structure. What should I do? I will appreciate any help.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:dah4aj$ot5$1@emac1.ocs.lsu.edu,
ab <abhi_nav@nospam.hotmail.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I installed a new 120GB hard drive, installed win xp home with sp2 on
> it. I had made three partitionas on the hard drive, each of 40 GB.
> NOw I can see only 2 partitions, the third partition is gone, not
> visible in the windows file structure. What should I do? I will
> appreciate any help.

Start > Run > "compmgmt.msc" without the quotes > Storage > Disk Management?
Is it listed there as unformatted or perhaps just not given a letter? If so
then you will need to assign it a letter or format it in order for it to be
seen.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Thanks for the tip. It worked like a charm! Another question: for some
reason, i have four partitions on the hard drive: C, F, J each with
33Gb. The rest of 20 Gb or so is unused. When in compmgmt.msc under disk
management, I do a right click on the unused space drive, the only
option that come up is to make it a primary partition. If I make that a
primary partition, will having the operating system on a different drive
hurt? Or can I change the current C drive partition to a primary
partition? I would appreciate your insight.