nforce4 ultra question

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
so I just bought a new CPU and HSF and installed it and then after a few tests I began to overclock
before I go any further here are my specs:

ASUS A8N-E
AMD 4200+ manchester w\ E4 stepping
Zalman 9700NT HSF
8800GTS 640MB
OCZ Game stream 850W

so after a couple of bumps I managed to get the system running somewhat stable (haven't had time to run prime95 for a few hours yet, hasn't crashed on me and runs 3dmark np)
the system is at 2.8GHz of course I have had to add a bit to the voltage but right now my question is the chipset tempature..... I have heard they are rated to reach tempatures of up to 80C without damage....
I hope this was true because while running super PI and the first 5 tests of Prime 95, the temps for my chipset rose to ~70C lol when the system is idle all temps are fine ~30C

can anyone confirm this please?

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
sure it's "hot" I mean really 40C is "hot" for people... what I mean is, is 70C within tolerable specs for a nforce 4 ultra chipset.... I belive they are rated for 80C , but I'm not sure

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
thanks for all your input guys.....

heres an update... it's not my chipset that is getting that hot... (I doubt it even goes over 40C but while compiling my HL2 map that temp 3 reading goes up to 95C!!! WTF
okay... so I need to know wtf speed fan is on.....
I can't find any major source of heat coming from my mobo using thermal probes( I know thoses aren't too efficent) I checked all the spots I could think of and nothing got hotter then ~36C everest isn't any help either.... it just gives me CPU and MOBO temps... the chipset is cool to the touch so maybe I wasted my money ordering the chipset heatsink?

here goes another 100$ down the toilet for a IR thermometer...(not down the toilet but I know a lot more better things I could spend 100$ on right now)

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
okay status update....

So i saturated my system (compiling HL2 maps seems to be the best to get the 90C temp i was wondering about)

I grabbed my IR thermometer and measured around... and pretty much everything was nice and cool... except for one toroid (at least thats what I think they are called. the little ferrite circle with a wire wrapped around it) I found that this one toroid reached up to 70C... it's not 90C but it's the hottest thing I could find... the I/O chips didn't go over ~50C and the chipset was ~45C... I'm guessing that the system is fine but it still bugs me a little bit... but I'm sure it's just a speed fan issue becasue it's not even reading 2 of my chassis fans.. when in the BIOS they show up fine...

please leave your thoughts and opinions