NTFS issue

fishpie

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
this is the second time my machine has done this, it takes a while to boot and has been having issues for about a year. i'll copy letter for letter what is said

Checking file system on E:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. you may cancel the disk check, but is is strongly recommended that you continue.
windows will now check the disk

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
removing corrupt index $130 in file 19604.
43 percent completed

---
Thats it at the moment, now for all i know, this could be it fixing itself and an issue may never return, but i just wanted a little more info on this subject. it has been on this for about 2 and a half to 3 hours.

i have tried to find answers myself and all that i have found out so far is that the NTFS is something to do with security and privacy, i could be wrong but that pretty much what i found out.

searching for answers already given is all well and good, but i thought that a direct, fresh answer would teach me much better.

any information, even just if its to tell me exactly what my machine is doing will help. i'm here to learn.

Thanks for any replies,
'Fish'

NTFS is the file system format of the hard drive.

It's performing a chkdsk on the hard drive. It appears that it's trying to fix some disk errors. That can take some time. My advice would be to leave it alone to do it's thing.

If it stops progressing all together, cancel it. Try to boot into windows. Go to the start menu--> run chkdsk /r, then restart.