PC not turning on..

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
so i bought all the basic components for a new pc, put them together, and pressed the front power button.
and nothing happens.
i checked the power supply by hooking it up to another computer and it worked fine so i thought the PSU couldnt be the problem. then i looked at the manual for the mobo and it showed all these different jumpers. my comp case doesnt have all the jumpers as shown in the manual, so im guessing that might be the problem. my computer case (i think its called atx chassis or something) has:
Power LED
Speaker
Reset SW
DC. SW
H.D.D. LED

and the (6100m-m) mobo requires:
HD_LED
RST SW
FP PWR/SLP
PWR_SW

im wondering if my problem is not having the right jumpers and maybe i should buy a new case?

also whats the deal with the clr_cmos(clear_cmos or something)?
what does it do and what settings should it be on? theres 3 pins and the jumper thing is on 2 and 3

also, yes i am a first-time comp builder and would greatly appreciate help

Your MB manual has a diagram of the Front Panel Jumpers. Match the Front Panel case leads to the Front Panel Jumpers on the diagram in the manual and plug them in. CMOS jumper is a default/reset for the system BIOS.

Here is some great music to listen to while assembling everything.

http://mycomponfire.ytmnd.com/

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
i no about the diagram, but the diagram has different jumper names than the cables i have. so i dont no which jumper to set where

Well, Power = power button. Reset = reset button. HD LED = HD LED. Speaker = speaker header. Look at the MB diagram and match the front panel case leads to the MB jumpers. The whole thing is generally universal.

The computer will switch on with the On button on the front ofm the case with just the PWR case lead plugged into the PWR header on the MB. Don't worry about pos/neg. Just connect the power on lead to the power on header on the mb and turn the system on with the on button.

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
hah figured out the problem, turns out my dc. sw jumper was wat the pwr sw was supposed to be lol. and thanks for the help i was goin crazy that it wouldnt turn on

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
You might need to change your cmos jumper to 1 & 2 position instead of 2 & 3. Double check your manual for the correct jumper position.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Hey badge, my Firefox didn't like you computer on fire link. It played it and then locked up the browser. There were no new processes detected by my trojan detector, but it was still unsettling.

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
well now that it turns on, this pops up
imgp1755ej7.jpg

i checked bios and it correctly identified my hdd as master and cd-rom as slave, and i left the cmos jumper on 2-3, should i move it elsewhere?
also, if you couldnt see, im using maxblaster 4 so install the os, but it wont get past the above image
i waited at the image forever and nothing happened

Shouldn't be anything from the link causing it I know of. Many have gone to the link, you are the first who had any problem like that.

Try going into BIOS and set the 'first boot device' to be your DVD/CD player, it should be listed as a boot device. Put the Windows OS CD in the tray and close it. Save and Exit BIOS. When the system boots you should see the message 'Press any key to boot from CD'. press any key. Continue to load the windows OS from there.

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
well i havent tried to make the cd first boot but it did say to press any key to boot and i got the error but ill try it thanks

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
well sorry for the double post but i switched my cd-rom to my cd-rewritable one and the system goes a little farther than the picture saying
results:
primary master none
primary slave none
secondary master none
secondary slave none

wat does this mean? should i just buy a new cd-rom drive or use a new os cd perhaps?
and wats the deal with the clr_cmos thing wat should be the settings?