Acer travelmate 291LMi hard drive problem

jimmygreen

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
have an old Acer travelmate which I used at work before I retired fitted with XP professional. I did not have any of the recovery discs when I brought it home.During a download recently it has just crashed.When I go into f8 to select a recovery option, in each case after I select an option it then takes me into a further page and asks me to select the operating system which is always only identified as XP professional. As soon as I click on this the screen goes into black mode again. I do have files which I need and have not backed up since mid year as I have been away.
I was advised to obtain an external hard drive encloser and port the data across to my new machine which I have now obtained.
However, I cannot see how to remove the hard drive from the old Acer. Can anyone tell me how to do this, and also how to go about setting up the transfer to the new machine as guess what, no instructions came with the external closure and im a complete virgin, well almost!
Thanks for the help and happy new year to all

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Sorry, the model number was in the title of your post. Duh.

On this page is the user's manual for your laptop. The hard drive is behind a small cover on the right-hand side of the notebook, secured by one screw from the bottom. (See page 6, Right View, and page 9, Bottom View).

Removing the screw will allow you to remove the cover and pull the hard drive out. There should not be any cable, the hard drive plugs in in the back of the bay.

Once the hard drive is removed, you should be able to put it in your external case, provided that the external case is designed for a 2.5" laptop IDE hard drive. If the external case is for a 3.5" drive (standard desktop computer size), or if it's for a SATA drive, it's not going to work properly. You will need to return it and get the correct one.