Nov 10, 2007
Hi All,

I just built my first PC in about 5 years:

CoolerMaster Stacker 830
Q6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz G0 Rev w/ Vigor Gaming Monsoon II Lite
Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
4 sticks of PCC6400 DDR2/800 1GB Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader
EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

I'm hoping to add a 45nm Penryn, and a second 8800 GTX in the next few months.

Everything is running fine, but I haven't really changed anything in Bios yet, I'm a total noob to tuning/overclocking, and I have a couple questions.

1. The corsair website says my memory has been tested at 5 - 5 - 5 - 1 2 - 2 T latency @ 1.9V.

I'm not really sure how to translate that into Memory setting timings in the Bios and/or the nvidia control pannel. Here is my current settings in the nVidia control panel:

jgmb.JPG

What settings should I be using? Should I use the Bios or the nVidia windows utility to change them?

2. I'd like to overclock this CPU to a conservative/stable value. Ideally maybe ~3 GHz? Am I able to change the multiplier or just the FSB? Here's my current CPU-Z:

jgcpuz.JPG

What settings would you suggest? Can I do it in nVidia Control panel, or Bios? Should I just run the tune system feature in Nvidia Control Panel instead? Is it worth running at fine or course?

3. Is it worth overclocking the graphics chip?

jgvid.JPG

4. My MB has Bios 1103 installed, 1205 is available on Asus's website. I'm assuming I should go ahead and flash the Bios? The Asus PC probe is currently throwing some voltage warnings, but I think I've read that's it buggy.

jgpcp.JPG

Should I be worried about those red voltages? Should I adjust any settings?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate any advice you are able to give!

Thanks,

Jason

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Your core voltage in CPU-Z seems incredibly high. I am sure it has to be incorrect reading? Could anyone confirm if it's correct? I've never used the Nvidia Control Panel before to oc so I can't really comment on that.

G

i think it's around 2.__ something..............maybe i m wrong.