Sepiaspiral

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I'm running the 7.7 Catalyst Drivers for my old 9600 Pro but I can't find any menus for the OpenGL Smartshader effects or the Overdrive facility. Have ATI simply dropped these for this version or won't they work for this old card?

Smartshader works on the card, but they dropped Smartshader from the basic Catalyst pack about 6 month ago (release 7.3 or 7.4 or something), about the same time they dropped TruForm. It was cool for game replayability, like play a game as the matrix or in stylized B&W, but not very practical. I used it on my old R9600Pro to replay games like Call of Duty, XIII UT2K4, etc. when it first came out. And then played it very briefly on the MRX700. Neat, but not worth using but for the novelty. I think they dropped them for space benefits.

Not many R9600Pros can use overdrive, they don't have the thermal diode. They introduced the thermal diode in the XT series, and even those were very hit and miss with the vast majority not getting them or not having them made operational.

TRENDING THREADS