watching tv on a dell 24inch or 27 inch

tylermmoore

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Does anyone have any experience watching cable tv (with a time warner cable box) through a dell 24, 27 or 39 inch monitor? I assume you can do this but I am not sure how thanks.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I do! Well it is through a comcast cable box, but it should be similar. I do have the advantae also of having the high definition box which allows me to use the component connections. If you have the box, just check the back for which outputs it has and make sure the Dell monitor you want has the right inputs. As long as the box allows you to output with something other than coax, the monitor should have the input.

The other thing you need to consider is audio. You need to make sure whatever setup you have can accept the audio (and that the box outputs audio on a separate line, which is really only a problem if the box only outputs with coax.)

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I have a dell 2405 which I have over the course of two years managed to hook up just about every kind of connection. (PS2, PS3, cable, broadcast, computer, video cam). Never had any issues, and the picture has always been top notch.

tylermmoore

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Thanks. My box is hd and has hdmi, component, svideo and coax so i shoudlnt have a problem. Is it possible to to watch tv through the cable box while using the computer. I guess it would have to be in a window.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
If you get one of the new models, they have picture in picture and picture by picture. I haven't tried these yet but theoretical you should be able to do that.

Another option would be to buy a Tv Tuner card and get some DVR software allowing you to watch tv in a window and record whatever you want. I just recently set my system up for this.

tylermmoore

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
thanks again. If i do go the tvtuner car route will that enable me to watch my digital cable channels and hd channels through the computer?

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Yes, but you need to make sure you get a tuner that is digital (has an ATSC tuner). Two of the best that I have seen from reviews are the Avermedia combo m780 and the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 1600. I have the 1600 and it works quite well (although the packaged software is garbage). The 1600 is PCI while the m780 is PCIe 1x.