Just built my first PC..How do I know CPU temps are o.k...

chadsxe

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
So I just finished my first build a few days ago. Everything is running and appears to be o.k. so far. The build is as follow...

//Mobo
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P
//CPU
E6850 (No Overclock
//PSU
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX
//Case
P182
//Video Card
8600 GTS (OC)
//Mem
Kingston KyperX DDR2 800

I have been reading about diagnostic tools and ran a few on my computer.

__Varibles to consider__
My computer sat ideal for 10 mins
My room temp is 72f
Again, no overclock and I have the stock HSF from intel on

Below is an image of TAT and SpeedFan running

untitled.png

So, what should I make of these numbers?

Regards

Chad

Fendrak

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
I'd say there's a problem somewhere, seeing as your temps appear to be below room temperature (72F = 22.2C), but even if they're anywhere near that, I'd say your good to go. I have a QX6700 overclocked to 3.3Ghz and it idles around 41C according to nvidia's monitoring program, getting up to around 55-57 at load. Mind you, that with a room temp of 20C with an Ultra 120 Extreme on the processor.

hertzuk

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
those temps are very very VERY good... whether they are too low i dont know... maybe too good to be true haha, but if my temps were that good, id be chuffed... unless someone said they were too low for it to work proper...

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Those temps do not look normal. With a room temp like that. Hopefully all sensors are working properly. I would run prime95 and see what happens.

chadsxe

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Hmmm....I am using an old *** tempature gauge for my room but I can't imagine it being that far off. I was say at it can't really be cooler then 65 in my room. Kind of hard to tell. Anyways, everything seems to be working well. I have yet to have any noticable issues at all. At first when I ran SpeedFan I was a little confused because I figured they were low but I am assuming TAT is accurate. I am looking at SpeedFan as we speak (with a few other things open) and core temps are only a few degrees higher 20 - 21C.

Is there anything that will take less then the 24 hours that prime95 recommends?

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Run orthos for 10 minutes and post sreenshots then.

17c is 62 F so unless your room is under 60 F theose tempos are wrong. Assuming your not running a phase changer. What cooler you running? What temps do TAT report? if TAT reports 32C give or take I would say that those zare more accurate for idle temps.

24hours of dual primes or orthos is simply for stability testing. No errors for 24 hours and your perfectly stable. I wouldnt worry about stabiulity unless you plan on OC'ing, moving away from stock GHz, core voltage, memory settings like speed, timings, or voltage.

chadsxe

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I will run Orthos tonight and post a screenshot.

I am running the stock Intel Heatsink Fan.

TAT at ideal is in the picture above. It shows the same temps as SpeedFan does -/+ a degree. Should I run TAT's full load thing to see where my temps end up? If so for how long?

Regards

Chad

chadsxe

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Should I run with my case fans at 100%?

Should I have my case side on or off?

I imagine all other apps should be shut down prior, correct?

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
If you want a "realistic" temp while gaming run an orthos blend test. TAT gives a load that is unrealistic, its for higher than you can possibly generate no matter how many apps you run, and therefor the temps under TAT 100% load are also unrealistic. Alot of people use it but I personally dont recommend it for that one simple reason. "You CANT make your cpu run as hot as TAT does."

Orthos blend gives me temps of 48C, when Im gaming I run between 42-46C, TAT pushes me well over 50C.

I cant even begin to tell you how many people I have encountered taht were led to believe they have heat issues when none existed because of TAT. People with stock or borderline coolers see TAT temps and get scared and think they have to spend $60 on cooling a C2D with a mild OC. If your load temps stay under 60C then you dont even have to think about it. Your not even really "critical" until you get over 70C.

texasnightowl

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
TAT and Speedfan are probably wrong. The e6x50 chips apparently have a different tjunction max than other chips. (100 vs. 85). This throws off the temp calculations in most utilities. CoreTemp Beta 0.95.4? gets it right. There is a sticky in the Overclocking section with lots of temperature info. I've been researching tonight because I have an e6750 that I just built and have been trying to figure out the temps.

little_scrapper: thanks for the info...I've been working on the temp. issues tonight. I haven't tried the Orthos Blend test yet but did try the Orthos Small FFT. At the 5 minute mark my temps (using speedfan with the 15c offset for cores):

System: 40
tcase (cpu): 55-56
cores: 63

I'm not crazy about the pop over the 60 mark though it seems not to be in the danger zone. This is not OC'd and with stock cooler. Idle my tcase/cpu temp runs in the 26-27 range and cores run in the 35-37 range. Ambient temp is 24-25c.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
chadsxe, any temperatures below ambient are very obviously inaccurate. little_scrapper is correct in that TAT at 100% thermal load represents Orthos at 114% work load, it's temperatures are coded for Notebooks, and it's less accurate on Desktops, however, TAT is useful for analyzing maximum thermal performance. This and much more is explained in the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-temperature-guide Sticky. To understand what constitutes proper temperatures, learn how to conduct thermal testing, accurately calibrate your temperatures, and properly monitor your system, please read the Guide.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I've written the explanation in the Guide. Please read the Note in the Tools Section:

Tools

Core Temp: http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp

CPU-Z: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Crystal CPUID: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html#CrystalCPUID

Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT): http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/mirrors.php

Orthos: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/385/Orthos_Stress_Prime_2004.html

SpeedFan 4.32 displays all 3 Tcase and Tjunction sensors: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Note: Core Temp is an excellent utility, however, it has a fundamental flaw in terminology, which creates confusion in the CPU temperature community, by obscuring the distinction between temperature and specification. Core Temp shows Tjunction 85c (or 100c), which is an incorrect term. It should instead be shown as Tjunction Max 85c (or 100c), which is the correct term as defined by Intel, as shown above in the Specifications section, and as represented below:

Tjunction = Core temperature
Tjunction Max = Shutdown

(A) Junction Temperature is a thermal measurement because it scales, thus the term TJ, or Tjunction, which is synonymous with Core temperature.

(B) Maximum Junction Temperature is a specification because it does not scale, thus the term TJ Max, or Tjunction Max, which is synonymous with Shutdown.

(C) ~ 5c below Tjunction Max Throttling is activated. If Tjunction Max is reached, Shutdown occurs, which is either 85c or 100c, and is determined by Stepping.

With this information in mind, it is recommended that Core Temp be used during Calibrations to cross-reference CPU-Z Stepping Revision and SpeedFan Core temperatures.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol:

chadsxe

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Ahhhh...got ya. It is a specification as to what temerature the Tjunction will have to reach before shutdown.

When I run othos blend test my tempatures approach mid 60c. Do to my me still being green I get scaried and shut it down about 8 mins into running. This might be a dumb question but will my cpu shutdown before I do any damage?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You haven't specified "which" C2D temperature you're referring to. It's very important to be specific, otherwise the C2D temperature topic just becomes a huge bowl of Apples and Oranges temperature fruit salad. Your question is a perfect example; if you're referring to 60 c Tcase (CPU temp), then that's HOT, but if you're referring to 60 c Tjunction (Core temp), then that's normal. Terminology is critical.

Your question is answered in several Sections of the Guide, however, look at the Scale Section, then read the Calibrations Section - Part 5. Respectfully, please be considerate and read the Guide before you ask additional questions. I realize that it's a lot to take in, but I have no desire to spoon feed this information to anyone, since that would require devotion to this keyboard above and beyond the call of duty, and there are still beers which require drinking this weekend. We must have priorities! If you have questions following your reading of the Guide, then I'll be happy to answer whatever you're stuck on.

Hope this helps,

Comp:sol

chadsxe

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I am going to read it again and again. Hopefully I can make sense of it. I will get back to the forums tonight with more specifics.

Regards

Chad

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006

Chad your temps are right for that processor.I installed one in my wifes machine using a Zalman 9700 and temps are 16c-18c. I even OCed to 3.86GHz and temps never went above 34c-36c. Your fine with the temps you have.Thats whats great about the e6850,it runs cool,and OCs nicely.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
i wouldnt worry, coz it it breaks you can genuinely say it wasnt your fault (and you have the screen shots, also try ocing it and seeing wht happens.