Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build arriving soon, need install advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 28, 2007 3:32:52 PM

I just ordered the below specs and they will arrive very soon, however, the last time i put together a pc was when ATX cases hadnt even come out, so i desperately need some help on installing this.

Abit IP35 Pro
C2Q Q6600
EVGA 8800 GTS 640 mb
2gb patriot ddr2-800
2gb crucial ddr2-800
X-Fi Xtreme Music ------(Bought Previously)
WD 400gb SATA (OEM)
Antec P182
Corsair 620HX
HP Lightscribe DVD Writer ---(Bought Previously)
Teac DVD Combo Drive -----(Bought Previously)

I'm planning on installing XP 64bit for now, till i move to vista. Please give some detailed advice on installing the hardware and the software (drivers, etc.).

August 28, 2007 3:54:33 PM

Kabobi said:
I just ordered the below specs and they will arrive very soon, however, the last time i put together a pc was when ATX cases hadnt even come out, so i desperately need some help on installing this.

Abit IP35 Pro
C2Q Q6600
EVGA 8800 GTS 640 mb
2gb patriot ddr2-800
2gb crucial ddr2-800
X-Fi Xtreme Music ------(Bought Previously)
WD 400gb SATA (OEM)
Antec P182
Corsair 620HX
HP Lightscribe DVD Writer ---(Bought Previously)
Teac DVD Combo Drive -----(Bought Previously)

I'm planning on installing XP 64bit for now, till i move to vista. Please give some detailed advice on installing the hardware and the software (drivers, etc.).


Quote:
Please give some detailed advice on installing the hardware and the software (drivers, etc.).


Your MB manual will have detailed instructions describing the installation procedures of your hardware, (CPU, RAM, etc.) You should definately read the MB manual. As far as software installation, you would first get the system to post to BIOS then load the OS, system driver CD, and video card driver in that order. Then get online and get all the updates for your OS and continue to load your other software applications at that point. HTH.

August 28, 2007 3:55:33 PM

alright thnx alot.
Related resources
August 28, 2007 11:23:51 PM

Take your time and as badge says, follow the instructions in the mobo manual. Good idea to have the mobo manual up on a 2nd computer, frequently easier to see things because the pictures are bigger than in the manual. If this is your first or second machine will likely take you 2 to 3 hours unless you get really lucky. Make sure you have the exact number of standoffs, no more and no less, than the mobo requires and they are all screwed in and the HSF is properly seated and make sure all the power connectors from the PSU to the board are installed. At least for me one of the toughest things is connecting the cables from the case to the mobo. They're small and hard to see, this is where the online manual comes in handing. If you find yourself getting frustrated over something, best to take a break. Drinking and other altered states of consciousness are not recommended until the build is complete. :) 
August 28, 2007 11:36:20 PM

Connect the front panel connectors to the MB front panel jumpers before you screw down the MB. Much easier that way.
August 29, 2007 5:32:13 AM

and ALWAYS wear an anti-static strap and hook it to the case BEFORE touching the mobo or other components.
August 29, 2007 6:08:01 AM

If your going to format you HDD and install your OS, update the bios first before going into OS. Great spec's btw, and I think everyone has covered all. Also if your going to overclock then get your CPU cooler now because some coolers have to have a back plate on the back side of the mobo. It was a pain in the A$$ for me to take everything out again to do that. Good luck on your new build!
August 29, 2007 6:16:33 AM

I took my ASUS P5LD2-VM Micro apart last weekend to install a Zalman 8800 HSF. I had taken the 805 D out and used it in another computer and replaced it with a 925 D and my temps were high. The 8800 Zalman helped a lot from a Coolermaster aftermarket hsf with a 92 mm high speed fan and copper heat pipes, but I discovered if I turn the 120 mm exhaust fan to be an intake from the rear, my X QPack micro system runs 5-6 C cooler. I take my micro systems apart evey weekend it seems. Anyway.
August 29, 2007 1:05:05 PM

alright thnx everyone, btw, do i have to update the bios? because i dont really get how to do it without an OS installed.
August 29, 2007 1:11:32 PM

Kabobi said:
alright thnx everyone, btw, do i have to update the bios? because i dont really get how to do it without an OS installed.


Yea if you update the bios before entering the OS install your eliminating bugs and incompatibilty issues with your OS and mobo.
August 29, 2007 1:16:15 PM

Kabobi said:
alright thnx everyone, btw, do i have to update the bios? because i dont really get how to do it without an OS installed.


If you have a floppy drive on your computer, (which is getting rarer these day which is a positive or negative depending on how you look at things - anyway I digress), you can download the bios image/update from the web on another computer and put it on the floppy and install it from that on your new PC.
August 29, 2007 1:35:58 PM

MagicWok said:
If you have a floppy drive on your computer, (which is getting rarer these day which is a positive or negative depending on how you look at things - anyway I digress), you can download the bios image/update from the web on another computer and put it on the floppy and install it from that on your new PC.


can i do the same thing just on a cd/USB?
and tell the bios to boot from that?

also should i first install windows (if everything is ok at first boot) then update bios? or update before anything else? (even if everything is ok at first boot)
August 29, 2007 3:54:15 PM

Kabobi said:
can i do the same thing just on a cd/USB?
and tell the bios to boot from that?

also should i first install windows (if everything is ok at first boot) then update bios? or update before anything else? (even if everything is ok at first boot)


Generally you'll need the Floppy. They cost about $7 really don't detract from the build, not like a pussy boil on your significant other's forehead, and they do come in handy for BIOS updates and to check problems with hdd. Don't know about Abit but ASUS has a Windows program for updating the BIOS and MSI allows you to do it online. I've never had a problem updating the BIOS after installing Windows.
August 29, 2007 9:40:31 PM

well Abit has a simialr program (FlashMenu), so i'll either use that or a CD since i cant locate my floppy drive.

Anyways, thank you.
!