GIGABYTE Ram overclocking issues

Drez143

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I am rocking a gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R with a q6600. The ram I matched up with it is CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800. The stock clock speeds of it is 4-4-4-12.
Right off the get-go I noticed in Cpuz that the clock speeds my motherboard are actually running it as is 5-5-5-18 at 400Mhz and FSB:DRAM of 2:3. I was fine with this until I began to overclock. I knocked up my processor speed from 2.4Ghz to 2.7Ghz in bios. I told bios to auto adjust voltages for me. This though caused the memory to run at about 430Mhz but the clockings went up to 6-6-6-21. I don't know how to adjust the clock speeds in bios, because there is no option for editing the clock speeds manually. Even for that, there are really no Ram options at all, other than to adjust the frequency, but that is going up like it should. Anyway I can even get the ram to run at 4-4-4-12 at stock speeds?
I wanted to buy two sticks of patriot ram to go next to the corsair but there is no need for me to buy highly rated ram if my Mobo won't let me get to those speeds anyways. Thanks for any input.

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
You need to press CTRL+F1 in BIOS to unlock the RAM controls I believe. Not on a gigabyte my self but I seem to have read it a million times on teh interwebz.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I've looked through the manual and like you said:There doesn't seem to be an option under the BIOS settings to let you manually adjust the RAM timings. The MIT only seem to allow for an option called High Speed DRAM DLL Settings where you have 2 options to choose from.

Drez143

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Wow, that hit it right on the head. Thank you! I tried googling my problem but I never would of hit something that exact like that. Why would they let you adjust your cpu speed so easily yet hide ram settings?

Anyways, thank you! Now I can shorten my computer parts lifespan by 10 fold.

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
HaHa! Go for it!

I don't know what the heck they where thinking... they made one of the best enthusiast mobo, yet they make a security feature like that which only covers RAM and not the CPU... someone was smoking something.