windows messenger

Why does Windows Messenger start every time Outlook Express starts ?

Why doesnt it exit when OE exits ?

TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger

    To disable "Windows Messenger":

    Open "Windows Messenger" and from the Toolbar select
    Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck:

    "Run this program when Windows starts" and
    "Allow this program to run in the background", then
    click OK.

    Next, open Outlook Express and from the Toolbar select
    Tools > Options and under the General tab uncheck
    "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" and click
    APPLY.

    Alternative:

    Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically running
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    rpl wrote:
    > Why does Windows Messenger start every time Outlook Express starts ?
    >
    > Why doesnt it exit when OE exits ?
    >
    > TIA

    Because the Evil Empire designed it that way :-)

    And it probably MSN Messenger instead on windows messenger
    which is something completely different.

    Do you use it? If not see the link below:
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=288

    It starts so that if you are using the contacts pane, OE can get the status
    of your Messenger contacts. Alternatively, OE has a setting that will also
    start Windows Messenger.

    You can turn this off... see some of jon kay's posting for the appropriate
    reg keys.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net> wrote in message
    > Why does Windows Messenger start every time Outlook Express starts ?
    >
    > Why doesnt it exit when OE exits ?
    >
    > TIA

    That "feature" is darn annoying. What used to happen to me is that Windows
    Messenger would run with OE and sign me in as online in the background.
    Then people would message me when I didn't want it and there was no icon in
    the tray! (due to the "allow this program to run in the background" thingy).
    And point-blank, Windows Messenger sux. Why can't they just include MSN
    Messenger with Windows?
    Damo

    "rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net> wrote in message
    > Why does Windows Messenger start every time Outlook Express starts ?
    >
    > Why doesnt it exit when OE exits ?
    >
    > TIA

Outlook Express Messenger Microsoft Windows XP