windows messenger

July 6, 2005 5:30:05 PM

Why does Windows Messenger start every time Outlook Express starts ?

Why doesnt it exit when OE exits ?

TIA

More about : windows messenger

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:48:26 PM

To disable "Windows Messenger":

Open "Windows Messenger" and from the Toolbar select
Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck:

"Run this program when Windows starts" and
"Allow this program to run in the background", then
click OK.

Next, open Outlook Express and from the Toolbar select
Tools > Options and under the General tab uncheck
"Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" and click
APPLY.

Alternative:

Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically running
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_au...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"rpl" wrote:

| Why does Windows Messenger start every time Outlook Express starts ?
|
| Why doesnt it exit when OE exits ?
|
| TIA
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:49:13 PM

rpl wrote:
> Why does Windows Messenger start every time Outlook Express starts ?
>
> Why doesnt it exit when OE exits ?
>
> TIA

Because the Evil Empire designed it that way :-)

And it probably MSN Messenger instead on windows messenger
which is something completely different.

Do you use it? If not see the link below:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=288
July 6, 2005 10:32:12 PM

It starts so that if you are using the contacts pane, OE can get the status
of your Messenger contacts. Alternatively, OE has a setting that will also
start Windows Messenger.

You can turn this off... see some of jon kay's posting for the appropriate
reg keys.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net> wrote in message
> Why does Windows Messenger start every time Outlook Express starts ?
>
> Why doesnt it exit when OE exits ?
>
> TIA

July 10, 2005 12:02:55 AM

That "feature" is darn annoying. What used to happen to me is that Windows
Messenger would run with OE and sign me in as online in the background.
Then people would message me when I didn't want it and there was no icon in
the tray! (due to the "allow this program to run in the background" thingy).
And point-blank, Windows Messenger sux. Why can't they just include MSN
Messenger with Windows?
Damo

!