Sign in with
Your question

Lowering Fan Speeds? How?

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2007 10:52:26 PM

Hello,

Before I outline my problem, I'll post my specs:

CPU: AMD 3500+ 2.2 ghz
HEATSINK: Thermalright XP-120 with a Panaflo 120mm fan (I think)
RAM: OCZ PC3200 512mbx2
VIDEO CARD: X800 XT 256mb
PSU: Ultra X-Connect 500 Watt
CASE: Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case
MOTHERBOARD: MSI K8T800 Pro
Temps. : Average 30C, Maximum 40C

Basically, I want to lower the fan speeds. The case has 3 fans, 1 in the back, 1 in the side, and 1 in the front. The CPU heatsink is extremely big and has a 120mm fan on it.

I can't stand the noise anymore. I've tried using a few programs, like SpeedFan and Motherboard Monitor 5, but I can't seem to change the speeds. In fact, both of those programs show that the fans are running at 0 RPM. However, on SpeedFan's website, it said my motherboard was supported.

Would lowering the voltages help? If so, how can I go about doing that? If not, is there any other way? Maybe I'm using SpeedFan wrong?

Thanks in advance. Would really appreciate an answer. I swear it's like there's an airplane in my room.

More about : lowering fan speeds

a b à CPUs
August 29, 2007 11:17:33 PM

Most boards will let you control fan speed in BIOS. It's hard to say with your particular low-end board.
August 29, 2007 11:24:08 PM

I checked the BIOS.

It says CPU Fan speed: 0 RPM, SYSTEM Fan speed: 0 RPM. I can't select any of these though. I can, however, alter the voltages, if that is helpful. Currently, the voltage settings for AGP, CPU, etc. are set to auto.

Thanks again.
Related resources
August 29, 2007 11:49:31 PM

Which Fans are making the most Noise?
PSU? GPU? Case?

There is often a connector on the motherboard for the fans.
That may not be connected correctly which may exlain the speed problem.

One Option may be to get something like a Tunic Tower which does not even necessarily use a FAN to Cool the CPU.

Then Turn the Case on It's Side, Take off the Side of the Case, and unplug the Case Fans. The heat will now rise out of the Case w/o the need of fans.

Now you should only have the PSU and perhaps a GPU Fan.
August 30, 2007 12:21:48 AM

First of all are your fans all plugged into motherboard headers? Second do all the fans in question have 3 wires Red-Black-Yellow?

If your fans are connected to your PSU through molex connectors you won't be able to monitor or change fan speeds. If your fans are connected to headers but only have 2 wires your missing the speed sensor and you won't be able to monitor or change fan speeds.

One simple solution would be to buy a fan controller which would allow you to control the speed of the fans there by reducing noise.
August 30, 2007 12:21:50 AM

Refer to your motherboard guide and make sure you plug all the fans into their 3 pin (or 4 pin) plugs, this is the only way your bios can read the fan speed.

Example: CPU fan in CPU fan plug near CPU. Chassis fan in CHA etc.

If you have stuff just connected to Molex connectors, they will run full pin all the time. Or if you are REALLY stuck, replace the case fans with Antec Tri-Speed fans. They have a little switch, Lo Med Hi, and they are quite quiet. Set them all to Med and you should be good.
August 30, 2007 12:23:47 AM

Oh yeah, if your fans have a small plug and a big (molex) plug, ONLY plug in the small plug!
August 30, 2007 12:37:59 AM

Thanks again for all the replies guys.

I checked the plugs, and all fans have 3 wires, red yellow and black. Only the side-case fan has a 4 pin plug, like the one that connects to a hard drive or an optical device (ex. cd-rom).

I just tested something too. I turned on the computer and held the CPU and back-case fans with my hands. These 2 are the biggest fans, both 120mm. The noise did cut down a bit, but a only a bit. I have a another Dell pc and it's reallllly quiet. You can't even hear it when you turn it on. Same with a friend's new E6600 pc he just built a month ago. Can't hear anything.

So I don't think the back-case fan or the cpu fan are really making that much noise. Neither is the side-case fan, as I removed the side-casing temporarily, and the noise was still coming.

I don't know if I can control the GPU fan at all, or even try temporarily stopping it. Would there be any other fans I could control? I know the PSU has 2 fans. I don't think I can hold the fans in there and turn it on, unless one of you are really sure the noise is coming from it. I read reviews on the PSU and they all said it was really quiet.

Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate it.
August 30, 2007 12:45:13 AM

Some PSUs have a plug to plug it into the Motherboard so it can only increase the fan speed as needed, such as Antec Smartpowers. Take a look to see if you have one, it also has to be supported by the motherboard.
August 30, 2007 12:47:02 AM

I really wouldn't suggest trying to stick my fingers into a running PSU and if your wondering why just look at the story of the kid that tried to watercool his XBOX 360. It could be a number of factors, as fans age they get louder also you might have a defective fan which it making all the noise. Just opening your case and listening for where the noise is coming from should give you an idea. I would suggest unplugging all your extra fans which should leave you with the PSU, video, and CPU and if the problem is with any of them you should notice right away. After that plug the other fans in one at a time and listen for a noticeable difference in volume. You could alway pick up a product like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and it would solve your problems.
August 30, 2007 1:12:04 AM

I use Rivatuner to adjust fan speeds on my graphics card.Quite useful.
!