I am almost ready to OC, few Q first

alienvspredator001

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
OK so I am almost ready to OC my Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 65nm (2.6 stock) but I have few question first. I want to get it 3-3.1 Ghz range with aftermarket cooler. So what is the best way to do it.

I have 200mhz fsb
Cpu multiplier at 13
DDR2- 800mhz memory at 1.8V

I was thinking of underclocking the memory to about 667mhz, lower the cpu multiplier by 3, and set FSB at 300mhz with Vcore set at 1.5V

Any comment Welcome

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
If you are planning to keep the overclocking MHz to 3000 and beyond you are going to have a good airflow and good CPU/GPU cooling system. Increasing the voltages to the core, causes the voltage regulators, coils and resistors to generate more heat, if you can reduce the heat in those parts you are going to have less chances, shorting the life span of the core components that supply the CPU/pci bus with electricity(voltages resistors)This meaning, your chances to shorten the life span or your core components are reduced, also reduces the chances of core components errors in your operating system. Old forum poster wusy explained this by electrical migration.
The days/evenings are cooler so the computer most likey will handle your changes quite nicely, however as the room temputures increase your computer see these increases of heat.
Its been my experience a powerful airflow works quite nicely. There are many cases to choose from that have a 120mm fan mount in the front and one 120 or bigger exaust near the cpu these kind of cases work quite well with dust covers.

Long term overclocking need something of this ability to cool down the computer
im0009753ba.jpg

xoxide19742954663yg0.gif