Partition Merging Question?

poO_onyou

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I recently did a new windows install on my friends laptop using the HP Recovery CD. During the install it put windows on its on 10gb partition and then created another partition of about 100gb. Is there anyway I can merge the two partitions with other having to reinstall windows? If so how? I find it very annoying to have two partitions. Thanks

poO_onyou

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
That was a very sloppy post, sorry, this is what i meant to say:

I recently performed a new windows install on my friends laptop using the HP Recovery CD. During the install process windows was put on its own 10gb partition and then created another partition of about 100gb was created. Is there anyway I can merge the two partitions with other having to reinstall windows? If so how? I find it very annoying to have two partitions. Thanks

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
If there's no data on the 100GB partition, then you can delete the 100GB partition and then resize the 10GB partition with a 3rd-party partition resizing tool like Partition Magic, Acronis Disk Director, or GParted.

If the 100GB partition is holding data, you'll need to back the data up somewhere else first, then perform the above procedure, and then copy the data back.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You may want to keep it and store your data on it. When you have to do a clean install, you won't have to hassle around backing up your data. Much safer than keeping your data on the C drive. Have never lost data doing a full install of Windows.