Q6600 Overheating, Need help with CPU Heatsink

Grey88

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Hi, Recently i bought an Intel Q6600, ive read that they run fairly hot and so bought an after market cooler to go, a Scythe Ninja Plus. Ive installed everything yet the CPU is still running very hot at stock speed 50-55 idle and shutting down when under load, at the moment i am having to underclock this CPU from 2.4GHZ to 1.8GHZ just for the OS to remain stable. I would like to know if there is anything i can do to help improve the airflow or even buy a new CPU cooler. There is also plenty of air avaliable for the case as. Thanks, any help would be appreciated

BillGallagher

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
When you do reseat it, put the glue on both the heatsink and CPU. Just a thin coat is fine. As a test, remove the HS, and see if there is full contack between both surfaces.....any raised paste will indicate contack .....

Do NOT put Thermal compound on both the heatsink and the CPU as BillGallagher stated. Doing this can cause air pockets to be trapped between the CPU and heatsink. Air pockets could cause your CPU to run hotter, or even overheat, due to lack of contact with the thermal compound.

Follow the instructions for applying Arctic Silver as found HERE . Arctic Silver, Inc. is the premier Thermal Compound manufacturer, and has put many hours into developing methods for applying their products.

The methods that Arctic Silver recommends for applying in a line or dot cause the thermal compound to spread out, away from the center, thus pushing any air out of the way, while not allowing for air to become trapped in pockets. This ensures good contact with the thermal compound.

....and when you put it back on, this method will ensure that you ahve treapped the *maximum* amount of air in between your HSF and processor. Do what Groveling said.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
The Tuniq Tower 120 is great for quads.

tuniqtower120qh3.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-11-13

tuniqtower1202bx3.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-11-13