Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading motherboard and OS (Vista) question...

Last response: in Motherboards
September 11, 2007 11:48:10 PM

hi all... ive been trolling the forums for a bit now, and i must say, u have a great community going on here... hope i'l be able to contribute soon and help people out...

now heres my problem...

i just bought the evga 590sli motherboard, and it should be here by tomorrow... i was wondering, will there be any problems with windows vista if i change the motherboard on my current set-up?

current set-up is:

amd 3800x2 OC to 2.5ghz
mci mobo w/ geforce 6100-430 chipset - current mobo
OCZ ddr2 6400 800mhz 2gb gold edition
1 250gb sata hardrive
bfg 650-watt power supply
evga 8800 gts superclocked 640mb
windows vista home premium edition

or do i have to reinstall my OS and back up my system now while waiting for the mobo?

I have read in the manual (available online) that I just plug everything in, and windows will just reboot a few times while it configures the new mobo... this is the first time i've changed mobos, so i dont really know what to expect lol

not planning to go sli until a couple of months from now, so my psu should be fine til then...

any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks...
September 12, 2007 10:51:50 PM

If you're going to use the current version of Windows, delete all the drivers before installing it on the new mobo and run Windows repair off the CD. I think it's always best to do a clean stall with a new mobo but there are a lot of folks that don't think this is necessary
!