Sep 11, 2007
Hey.

I'm new to this forum, so be nice to me! :p

Anyway, I have a good computer and all;

Core 2 Duo E6420 - 2.13ghz
2gb Ram
320GB HDD
8500GT 512mb

and yeah. I've been playing games and checking my Framerate using Fraps. In bf2, on High Settings & resolution of 1024x768, i get averages of 61fps.

I should be getting more FPS right? Which leads to this question, is the 8500GT the downfall to my gaming?
And would it be able to play Crysis (just speculate) on Low settings?

If the 8500GT is the downfall, what can i do to improve performance? I've already overclocked it to 530MHz & 438MHz (Core & Memory Respective)
Also i'm a bit tight on money atm. Uni expenses sucks! Plus Girls = money. haha.

Anywho, I live in Australia -> Sydney .. so if anyone knws a good place i could buy a video card for good money, i'd be welcome to hear ideas.

Also what would i do with my Extra 8500GT?

Another question .. since the card is SLI ready, can i attach 2 different cards to my mobo (if my mobo is SLI ready) or is it only the same card ?

Thanks in advnce :D
- shinji

shinji01

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Lol. Thing is, I just bought this rig a few months ago. like in March or something.

That's the main reason why i'm a bit hestitant to buy a new Graphics card.
I've been out of the computer-hardware market in a long time and I got outdated. I thought the bigger the memory the better. :/

nope bigger memory wont always help , the most imporant thing in vga is : Number of PixePipelines , Ram , CoreClock , Memory Clock , Memory Bandwidth ......

Even 8500GT OC wont perform very well

x1950pro/7900gs/8600gts if you can afford those. They go for about $120-140 USD here. Not sure how much they are over there. If you can wait until Nov/Dec for the 8700's to come out, that could be a better option than what I stated, but other than that I would go with the x1950pro/7900gs/8600gts at the minimum.

shinji01

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
The main thing I want to play in the near future is Crysis without sacrificing all of the eye candy and having good fps.

And i've noticed that 8500GT isn't that great for OC. I overclocked it and it has its moments of freezing in games. I should revert back to default settings. ><

I might actually wait a while after Crysis comes out to see how my actual computer fairs playing it.. not to mention the prices will come down. Because thats around $200 - $250 AUD here. ( I think )

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

I agree with this guy here.

What PSU is in your rig? If it's weak, and upgrading it isn't an option, you might be limited to an 8600GT (which doesn't require an additional power connector). Otherwise, I also agree with lunyone.

cleeve

Illustrious

The amount of memory doesn't matter that much.

I wouldn't hesisate, if you take the advice of the good folks on this forum you will see a huge increase in gaming performance with relatively little investment. An X1950 PRO/7900 GS/8600 GTS will show you a colossal jump.

The 8500 GT was never a good gaming card, even when it was new. We would have told you that when you bought your system, too. :)

shinji01

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
i don't know where i would sell my card. lol.

http://www.digitalstar.com.au/detail.aspx?ID=39034
There's the 8600GTS
but i also found something else.

Sparkle 8600GT
http://www.digitalstar.com.au/detail.aspx?ID=39223

whats the difference and should i fork over the extra $100?

And im thinking that a 350V PSU wouldn't help run would it .. .>_<
Wasn't me that bought it. Parents went out and bought it and i paid them back. Was meant to be a browse aroudn while i went to work but they just bought it.

But yeah, it wasn't supposed to be a gaming rig.

A new PSU from Coolmaster would set me back at around $90
http://www.digitalstar.com.au/detail.aspx?ID=38791

And thanks for your help guys!