Sign in with
Your question

Need help, something is wrong with my LCD monitor.

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2007 8:33:00 PM

Hi, lately I have been having problems with my LCD monitor, it has darker and lighter horizontal lined "strobbing" on an off all the time, today it was doing that almost the entire time for almost 9 hours, in the past it also happened, but this was usually gone after 5 or 10 minutes so i did not care much about it, but now it is unbearable, and on top of that it seems that whatever brightness, and contrast settings I set it to it makes the monitor bright all the time(to the point that i have to squinch my eyes a bit because its too bright... I had it always set to a much darker, contrasted view), is the monitor dying on me? I had the monitor since around mid 2001, or is this related to some other issue? I checked the cables, and they are ok(the same ones I always used)the plugs were all connected, the only thing that I changed was the gpu(to a 2900xt) 2 weeks ago,but i had these issues prior to the upgrade, so i dont think its related.

Thank You for all opinions.

More about : wrong lcd monitor

August 28, 2007 10:39:43 PM

Your problem just peaked my curiosity. Can you try the monitor on a completely different system and see if the problem persists? I was thinking perhaps your power supply has gone south especially with the new 2900xt being installed.
August 28, 2007 11:25:06 PM

I can not this is the only system that i have, I did buy a new psu with the gpu, the one that im using right now is a thermaltake though power 700W, and i have to admit that i think something is a bit wrong with it, since day one it was getting quite hot(compared to my old 480W psu), but i guess the power consumption increased as well, so that might be a reazon for it, but i still think its getting a bit too hot for what it should be.

I used a different psu before(thermaltake 480W purepower) and i did have simmlar issues once a month or once per 2 months or so, so i was thinking it was the monitor, since about a year ago i exchanged all my motherboard, cpu, ram, and gpu, and i had these issues even prior to that.
So i figured that this might be a the lcd issue.
Actually this stopped about 40 minutes ago...quite odd, since i did not do anything. But the screan is still a bit too bright compared to before (even with lower brightness settings than before)
btw just out of curiosity i have noticed that the psu has a plastick (made probably out of isolation tape) "plate" right in th eback of the psu, and it blocks a good half of the exhausted air, so half of th eexhaust is really hot, the other one is i would say room temperature, i was thinking about removing that plastick but it would be very hard to do it threw those tiny exhaust (comb like):( 
Related resources
August 28, 2007 11:30:40 PM

Jeff is an old friend of mine who has gone out on his own with his own shop. He knows a lot about monitors. I know if you had a bad monitor He would tell you not spend any money on, just buy a new one. But He is great at repairing odd things like printers, scanners, and other busines machines. Try to send him an email and ask him what you said here. I really think he will know what the problem is.

http://cyberdenent.com/
a c 196 C Monitor
August 28, 2007 11:48:39 PM

I think your LCD monitor is finally dying on you. More specifically, it's probably the circuit board itself that controls the monitor is going bad.
August 29, 2007 12:23:22 AM

Thank You for the information, I will check it out.
^ thats what was thinking, (about the lcd dying on me, its quite odd, since right now it stopped "flikering" as if nothing happened, and i dont think it was really heat related, since i had teh as on throughout the day, and actually right now its off, lol hopefully the issue will go away....lol since i just got teh gpu, and psu about 2 weeks ago, and thought that this final upgrade will help me in not upgrading anymore for teh next 3 years or so ;) .
August 29, 2007 7:20:58 AM

Try to take it round a friend's house or borrow someone's laptop to try the monitor on.

I'm guessing it's the LCD that is the problem here as well and as suggested above - trying it on a different system would confirm the issue.
August 29, 2007 8:28:39 AM

Sounds like the voltage is unstable causing it to be too bright a times, I had something strange happen to my LCD but found out that my DVI cable had a short in it. I have pulled on it everytime I remove my side panel of my case.
August 30, 2007 2:16:21 AM

Thank You for all the information, much apprecieated, actually the flickering has stopped, and the colors did come back to norm, so i guess all is ok, but i guess it might happen again.
In regards to testing out the monitor somehwere else, it is rather inpossible.
August 30, 2007 7:11:01 AM

illuminatirex said:
Thank You for all the information, much apprecieated, actually the flickering has stopped, and the colors did come back to norm, so i guess all is ok, but i guess it might happen again.
In regards to testing out the monitor somehwere else, it is rather inpossible.

If It happens again then you can say that it might be a warning the something is about to past or expire.
!