Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
I am RMAing my 320GB WD HDD but I want to erase everything on it before I send it back. I have searched and tried a few methods unsuccessfully. I tried using a tool called HDDErase 3.1 but the Boot CD I created would not execute.

I only have this 1 hdd, with windows xp still installed. What is an easy way to erase everything on it?

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks Badge for the link. I d/l Active Kill Disk and after a few tries I got the USB Boot function to work and it did a zeros pass on the HDD to erase everything. I must have tried like 8-9 different programs with CD boot or USB boot functions and I could not get any of them to erase my damn HDD. All this time I have been backing up and protecting my data, little did I know it was such a pain in the arse to get rid of it.

ethel: I just figured it is a good idea to erase as much of my personal info as possible before I RMA. I would hope that WD will not do anything unscrupulous with my HDD but better safe than sorry. I know that there is still a possibility that things can be recovered but at least it will not be easy.

I have a feeling this election will ultimately be decided on a sensitive issue such as a harddrive left unerased on a harddrive used at one of political party's headquarters. Like Watergate, you know when our nation was being formed and an illegal break in became part of our political process from the beginning! Just kidding! LOL! Glad you solved the problem.

kda

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

----------------------------------------------------------------
WD website has downloadable software including exe files that when
downloaded will create bootable floppies or a bootable CDR with
DIAGNOSTIC tools on the newly created media.

DOS Floppy Maker: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=2
CDR Maker: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=30

Keeping one of these around for your WD HDs is handy because
when you boot, it will load itself and identify all the WD HDs on your
computer and let you select the one on which you wish to work.

Then you can do a quick check, and extended check or LOW LEVEL
FORMAT the HD (write zeroes to it) and that latter action is the one
which you wanted to do if I understand correctly.

So may I suggest you go get the latest diagnostics release
which is 5.04f and as soon as you get your replacement HD,
you can plug it in and run the other diagnostics against it to
put your mind at ease about whether it is good or not. Then
file the floppy (or CDR) you made away and save it for future
use. You can run diagnostics even before you format the new
HD or put any data on it.

FYI, virtually all HD manufacturers offer the same type of
utilities for their HDs. I've used them for WD, Samsung and
Maxtor with great success.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Try DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke)

dban.sourceforge.net

Completely open source and free, multiple wiping options, passes, verification, customization.

ActiveKillDisk free version is crippled. The limit of 1 pass pseudorandom data wiping will stop the average Joe from getting at your data. I'd do 3 passes minimum.

rforce

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Wiping the drive might be a challenge, depending on why you are sending the drive back for RMA. If the drive has any physical problems, you will most likely require a commercial wipe tool to work around them...if possible. That being said, you may find that the cost to wipe the data is greater than the value of the drive. So, depending on the importance of the data, you may be better off keeping the drive and simply buying a replacement. For the sake of $60, I'd just buy a new one.

If you insist on wiping the drive and still want to RMA it, you could always seek the assistance of a professional drive cleansing service. But, again, you may be paying close to the value of a replacement drive for them to do it for you.

Good Luck!