Sign in with
Your question

Outputting to an LCD TV via HDMI using a 8800GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2007 4:26:28 PM

Hi, I just purchased an 640mb EVGA 8800gts (have not received yet) for my new build. I want to be able to play games as well as watch movies on my 1080p 42", so I bought an HDMI to DVI adapter to hook the video card via HDMI.

From this I want to know a few things, for anyone who has this kind of setup had they have any problems outputting 1920x1080 to their LCD?

Also, will I be able to get sound through my TV using the HDMI cable? (I know you probably cant with this card)
If not, how will I fix this to get sound on my tv? (or will I have to use my PC speakers?)

Thanks for your help!
September 11, 2007 4:44:48 PM

Sounds like yet another consumer confounded by DRM. God I hate DRM!
September 11, 2007 5:04:29 PM

My TV has an alternate set of sound inputs for use with the HDMI input. But I always use my surround setup, so I haven't tried them. I'm not sure about this, but I think you would have to have an HDMI out on the video card to get sound through the cable (if the card even supports it).
Related resources
September 11, 2007 5:06:20 PM

This may sound noob, I don't have much xp with this either, but can you feed the sound from the sound card to your surround system?
September 11, 2007 5:20:09 PM

Sure, you can use line level converters, i.e. a pc audio plug to rca jack adapter, or you can use the SPDIF/Toslink plug if your reciever is so equipped.
September 11, 2007 5:26:45 PM

rodney_ws said:
Sounds like yet another consumer confounded by DRM. God I hate DRM!

Care to elaborate?

utaka95 said:
My TV has an alternate set of sound inputs for use with the HDMI input. But I always use my surround setup, so I haven't tried them. I'm not sure about this, but I think you would have to have an HDMI out on the video card to get sound through the cable (if the card even supports it).

Oh true, I keep forgetting that DVI is video only. I looked at the back of my tv and I do have those audio inputs with the HDMI. Now, what will I need to hook the audio up? Can it be hooked up so I have sound going to my PC speakers as well as my TV? (so i don't have to consintatly be switching audio connectors amongst the two)

Thanks
September 11, 2007 5:34:52 PM

Well, you could use a "y" headphone adapter to split the signal between the tv and your pc speaks. I did that with my old HTPC/tv setup, you'll need the line level pc audio to rca adapters as well - if your tv doesn't have a pc audio plug.
September 11, 2007 5:48:44 PM

Looking at Monoprice I have come up with these two options with the Y adapter going to the PC speaker (not configured) and one going to the TV. The longer cables run 25ft, which I need.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&style=

+
+

OR

+
+

Now the setup with the longer RCA cable does cost more (roughly $3 more), but is there a difference in quality going with the longer RCA as opposed to the 3.5mm?

Thanks

a b Î Nvidia
September 12, 2007 12:27:17 AM

What connector option do you have going into your TV, does it not have a digital in of some kind?

I do the split so that I have digital out to the HDTV and then the headphone or line out to the PC speakers.

I hate having so many connection point in those setups you have above, and over time I've found even the best 3.5mm jack go staticy. Arggh.

From what you have above there thought I'd pick sortof the last one, but instead of a Y jack and then long 3.5mm I'd picl a longer Y jack like a 6-12ft long on and then put the 3.5-RCA extra 6-12ft on that. having a 3.5m extension ontop of the y jack isn't as flexible IMO and adds one more connector on the PC side.

So in the second option replace the two items on the left with one of these;
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&...

September 12, 2007 3:39:45 AM

I have the RCA input along with the HDMI input on my tv. I dont understand the need for the longer Y cable, since one of the outputs is going to the PC speakers (so length is not needed).
September 12, 2007 4:38:25 AM

i have same vid card, t4061f tv, almost same---run dvi to hdmi dongle--to hdmi-hdmi to tv input hdmi #1, run pc sound to any available input source on your stereo and waa laa.....hdtv 79or5).1 surround sound goodness. long as you scale it properly it will be awesome. tried and believed.

enjoy
!