Sign in with
Your question

Computer Shuts Down During XP Install

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2007 10:59:29 PM

I have been having problems with my new computer constantly (bad CPU fan, DOA HDD, etc.) and now I am stuck on another. Whenever I start to install XP onto the new machine, the computer shuts down on it's own at the 'Enhanced Host Control' step of the setup. I have checked around and could not find a solution to this. I am positive that all my parts are working correctly (tried several on a different computer) and can not figure this one out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

System Components:

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar 500GB 7,200 RPM IDE Hard Drive

Memory:
Patriot eXtreme 2GB(2x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

PSU:
Corsair 620W

MB:
GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card:
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

More about : computer shuts install

August 29, 2007 12:02:49 AM

jobbernowled said:
I have been having problems with my new computer constantly (bad CPU fan, DOA HDD, etc.) and now I am stuck on another. Whenever I start to install XP onto the new machine, the computer shuts down on it's own at the 'Enhanced Host Control' step of the setup. I have checked around and could not find a solution to this. I am positive that all my parts are working correctly (tried several on a different computer) and can not figure this one out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

System Components:

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar 500GB 7,200 RPM IDE Hard Drive

Memory:
Patriot eXtreme 2GB(2x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

PSU:
Corsair 620W

MB:
GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card:
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

Go into your BIOS and increase the memory voltage to mfg. specs. PC6400 is 2.0-2.1 volts. If that does not solve the problem, you likely have a bad DIMM. Try one DIMM at a time in slot 1 and try and load the OS.
August 29, 2007 1:16:46 AM

badge said:
Go into your BIOS and increase the memory voltage to mfg. specs. PC6400 is 2.0-2.1 volts. If that does not solve the problem, you likely have a bad DIMM. Try one DIMM at a time in slot 1 and try and load the OS.

Thanks for the info. Though I believe I found the cause, I will do that as well to prevent any further issues.

The fan on my CPU was not sitting right and so at idle the CPU reached as high as 98C before the computer would shut off. I took the fan off and fiddled around for a moment then put it back on and now its sitting at ~55C, though the fan is spinning at about 300RPM slower then it should. I will most likely replace it shortly once I have the system running, since even from the beginning it was giving me issues (it was grinding against the side of the little contraption that holds it even when I had it in the right position)
!